Review of Belzhar

If life were fair, Jam Gallahue would still be  at home in New Jersey with her sweet British  boyfriend, Reeve Maxfield. She’d be watching  old comedy sketches with him. She’d be kissing  him in the library stacks.

She certainly wouldn’t be at The Wooden Barn, a therapeutic boarding school in rural Vermont, living with a weird roommate, and signed up for an exclusive, mysterious class called Special Topics in English.

But life isn’t fair, and Reeve Maxfield is dead.

Until a journal-writing assignment leads Jam to Belzhar, where the untainted past is restored, and Jam can feel Reeve’s arms around her once again. But there are hidden truths on Jam’s path to reclaim her loss.

From New York Times bestselling author Meg Wolitzer comes a breathtaking and surprising story about first love, deep sorrow, and the power of acceptance.
I have seen Belzhar around the blogosphere and decided to take a stab at it . The cover was interesting, and it definitely sounded unique. I was not really expecting it and at first almost DNF but decided to stick to it to figure out what was even going on.


  • There was a definite uniqueness to the story that I wasn’t expecting, so that did keep me on my toes and wanting to figure out where the story was going to go.
  • The character development was well done, I actually liked some of the side characters more than the main character.
  • The idea behind the journal is neat. I can see how writing can be really healing and bring you to new places. The way the journal brought everyone together was interesting too.
  • I always seem to enjoy the boarding school setting, apparently I must have internally desired to be sent to a boarding school as a child or something!

  • When I really found out Jam’s story I was disappointed. It was just kinda ridiculous. I don’t want to spoil anything, but I just cannot understand why the author decided to go in that direction. Seems unnecessary and like she was copping out of a better resolution.
  • The story line itself was so-so.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20821376-belzhar




http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

8 comments

  1. I haven't heard of this one and the cover probably wouldn't have pulled me in either, but thanks for putting it on my radar. It's too bad that you didn't love it. I hate when an author lets me down near the end and it sounds like that might be what happened here. I might keep this one in mind in case I'm ever in a weird reading mood. Great review! And I hope you're feeling better :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing this everywhere too. But honestly besides the boarding school setting it didn't really intrigue me. I hate when authors total cop out on the ending(I had a few in 2014 that were total let downs). So I'm not looking for anymore like that.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when you are reading a book and the story feels like a cop out and the story line is so-so.
    Thanks for the review, but I'll probably skip this one.

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was the same way–wanting to DNF but deciding to stick with it, and oh boyyyy. What we find out about Jam. It's so ridiculous. It's a valid way of coping with what happened to her, BUT it felt like a big cop-out. It was a cheap trick and was just horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry that even if the idea was good the story about James wasn't... Thanks for your review, this one was new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry this was disappoining, hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I really hated the big reveal at the end. It not only made me hate Jam, but I am really pissed that the author didn't address Jam's illness that she was obviously experiencing: delusional disorder. I mean, if you wanna talk about mental illness, do it right, sheesh. .-.

    Nice review, Missie! <33

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I've seen this book around in a few places and I am not yet sure if I want to pick it up. I like the idea of side characters being really interesting, but it's a shame you couldn't like Jam's story :(

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.