Blogging Tips - Social Media Buttons

I have found such amazing resources for blogging online, so I wanted to start a new feature sharing some of the things I have learned and I would love to hear your tips, tricks and your favorite resources to spice up your blog!


Today we are going to work on creating social media buttons for your followers to get in contact with you outside of your blog! I personally love social media and enjoy spending time on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram when I am not blogging. I think it is a great way to become friends with your followers!
There are so many amazing social media buttons that talented bloggers have created and are sharing for free on their sites. I use Pinterest as a resource to find blogging tips and graphics all the time. Start by searching out social media buttons and find ones that match your blog!


Take your social media buttons and save them to your desktop. Then go into your blog and start a new post (you will never publish this post). In Blogger - you will go into the HTML tab of your upload your social media buttons.



Now go back into your "Compose" tab and link up each button to your social media web address.


After linking each individual social media button, go back into the "HTML" tab and copy the coding for the images and links.


At this point you are done with your post. You can save your post as a draft so that you always have the coding for your social media buttons when you need it. Now go into your layout tab and add a new gadget. Choose the HTML gadget. Paste in your social media button coding from your blog post.


And wahoo! You have social media buttons that help your followers reach out to you in new forms!

Please let me know if you have any questions - I will definitely reach out and help as much as possible. I use Blogger and am not at all familiar with Wordpress - but there are tutorials on the web to help Wordpress users do the same process!


http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

11 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing! It's always fun to try different things with our blogs and searching out the material to do that is half the fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! I will have to work on this while I work on improving my web page this year. Bookmarking this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice and helpful post, Missie! Luckily, I have a co-blogger who occupies herself with the lay-out of the blog (including the social media icons that she's tailored to fit our blog theme) and all the coding, so I don't have to worry about that sort of thing. But I think even I could work with this :)
    I really like this feature and look forward to reading more posts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very helpful! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with those of us who are not as tech minded (me). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I so wish you did this post, back when I was trying to figure it out. Yes it's for sure really good to add those and it can be hard. I really hope that your post will help other bloggers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea for a feature! I am useless when it comes to anything like this. I do have my social media buttons up, but it took me forever to learn how to do it. Lol
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited about this feature! I totally lack any skills that have to do with blog design and layout, thank you!!

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I had wondered how to add social media buttons, but I decided to bypass googling it because I thought it would be really hard. Now, I think I can manage this, I'll be sure to try it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought to look for social media buttons on Pinterest. I usually just Google but I bet there are new-to-me ones on Pinterest. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't thought about looking on pintrest for new social media icons. I really need to update mine, so I will have to take a look. Thanks for the tutorial!

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many bloggers are aware that linking their blogs on social media sites can be very helpful for them to promote their blogs, or vice-versa. However, not all of them know how to add the social media buttons, and usually just rely on the default ones that are available. Your tutorial should help those who want to customize theirs into fitting more with the theme of their blog, so that it doesn't look out of place. That being said, I hope many bloggers are able to read this post and try it themselves! Cheers!

    Tom Hall @ WCS Solutions

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.