Review of Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Bernadette Fox is notorious. To her Microsoft-guru husband, she's a fearlessly opinionated partner; to fellow private-school mothers in Seattle, she's a disgrace; to design mavens, she's a revolutionary architect, and to 15-year-old Bee, she is a best friend and, simply, Mom.

Then Bernadette disappears. It began when Bee aced her report card and claimed her promised reward: a family trip to Antarctica. But Bernadette's intensifying allergy to Seattle—and people in general—has made her so agoraphobic that a virtual assistant in India now runs her most basic errands. A trip to the end of the earth is problematic.

To find her mother, Bee compiles email messages, official documents, secret correspondence—creating a compulsively readable and touching novel about misplaced genius and a mother and daughter's role in an absurd world.
I was supposed to read Where'd You Go, Bernadette for book club a while ago, I just never go around to it. I was in need of an audiobook so I finally picked it up. The book was read by Kathleen Wilhoite and was 9 hours, 38 minutes long.

  • The whole premise of this book was completely unique and nothing like I have ever done before. It was multiple POVs, but mainly it was narrated by Bee.
  • Bernadette was so completely crazy that I wanted to be friends with her, I wanted to get inside her head and figure her out. It was so interesting to piece her life together from what other people said about her and what you learn from her POV. 
  • The disease, the agoraphobia was so real, but it was also put into such a light that you can kinda laugh about it, I think there are definitely times where we need to laugh about our issues. I have anxiety and it does help to make light of it at times. 
  • Bee was freaking amazing. I wish, if I ever had a child, they would be as awesome as her. I wouldn't want to deal with all the heart issues at the beginning of her life, but she has overcome and is so incredibly smart. 

  • The beginning of the story was a little meh. I almost stopped before I really got into the book, but by the end of the book I really enjoyed it. Stick with the slow start. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13526165-where-d-you-go-bernadette






https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

3 comments

  1. This was really good! And I agree it has a bit of a slow start. It was really good on audio though which is how I read it also :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you enjoyed this one a lot more than I did. I just didn't get the appeal. To wonky for my liking. But I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this book before, the cover kind of implies it is a chick lit type of book, but the synopsis sounds more serious. Good that you eventually finished it and rated it well. Sometimes an audiobook just makes a book that much better.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.