Review of The Good Girl


"I've been following her for the past few days. I know where she buys her groceries, where she has her dry cleaning done, where she works. I don't know the color of her eyes or what they look like when she's scared. But I will."

Born to a prominent Chicago judge and his stifled socialite wife, Mia Dennett moves against the grain as a young inner-city art teacher. One night, Mia enters a bar to meet her on-again, off-again boyfriend. But when he doesn't show, she unwisely leaves with an enigmatic stranger. With his smooth moves and modest wit, at first Colin Thatcher seems like a safe one-night stand. But following Colin home will turn out to be the worst mistake of Mia's life.

Colin's job was to abduct Mia as part of a wild extortion plot and deliver her to his employers. But the plan takes an unexpected turn when Colin suddenly decides to hide Mia in a secluded cabin in rural Minnesota, evading the police and his deadly superiors. Mia's mother, Eve, and detective Gabe Hoffman will stop at nothing to find them, but no one could have predicted the emotional entanglements that eventually cause this family's world to shatter.

An addictively suspenseful and tautly written thriller, The Good Girl is a compulsive debut that reveals how even in the perfect family, nothing is as it seems….


The Good Girl was our pick for book club this December. I hadn't really heard of it, but after hearing the description and also seeing it compared to Gone Girl, I was super excited to read it. I am so glad that I was not disappointed. I could barely put the book down and ended up going to bed early and staying up late to finish the book quickly.

  • The book kept me thinking, the whole time I came up with new ideas of what was going on and how it was going to end. I loved the possibilities in the pages and not really knowing what was going to happen next.
  • I enjoyed the way the book was laid out, there were multiple personalities, along with going back to before and after, so you could almost start to piece things together. 
  • The ending was not one of the situations I had come up with. I was surprised and put the book down nodding my head because Mary did a great job of keeping me on my toes and really kept me guessing. 
  • I really hated Mia's dad, was on the fence about Colin and Mia's mother and liked Mia. I think the characters really pulled you in the direction that you should, feeling each character completely.

  • The only gripe is that I want more after the ending. I didn't want the book to stop and I almost wanted it to go back to the beginning with a new POV after we know what really happened.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18812405-the-good-girl?from_search=true





https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

4 comments

  1. lol it's always terrible to see the end arrive for a book we're loving and this one sounds great and full of surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds amazing, I've been wanting to read The Good Girl for a while now. Let's see - Fab review!

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this actually sounds really good! I haven't heard a lot about this one, positive or negative, so it is nice to read your review! I am definitely going to add this one to my (never ending) list! Great review!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a chance to meet this author at our local bookstore and now I'm sad I missed it. Have to get this book!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.