Review of Something Real

Winner of the 2012 PEN New England Discovery Award!

There’s nothing real about reality TV.

Seventeen-year-old Bonnie™ Baker has grown up on TV—she and her twelve siblings are the stars of one-time hit reality show Baker’s Dozen. Since the show’s cancellation and the scandal surrounding it, Bonnie™ has tried to live a normal life, under the radar and out of the spotlight. But it’s about to fall apart…because Baker’s Dozen is going back on the air. Bonnie™’s mom and the show’s producers won’t let her quit and soon the life she has so carefully built for herself, with real friends (and maybe even a real boyfriend), is in danger of being destroyed by the show. Bonnie™ needs to do something drastic if her life is ever going to be her own—even if it means being more exposed than ever before.


Something Real was on my radar for quite some time, but I just never really felt like picking it up. I actually bought it at least three months ago when we got the e-book settlement money. Something finally called out to me and I decided to read it. I have been on a contemporary kick lately.

  • I thought the inside view into the life of a reality tv star was really interesting. Chloe (Bonnie) was really cool, she was real, normal and relate able. I really thought she was written well and I could fell the emotions of the story through her. 
  • I thought the way the book was broken down into episodes and interviews was a great way to pull you into the story. I made it flow differently, but totally worked.
    Benny was awesome. I want him to be my brother. I love him, his personality and how loyal he was. I think him, Matt, Patrick and I could be a posse. 
  • Patrick, oh Patrick. He was definitely swoony. I loved that he has a crush on Chloe FOREVER before he makes a move. So stinking cute!


  • The mother was just so awful, I wanted her to really get what she deserves or at least figure it out. I don't want to spoil anything, but she never really does get it. I guess it shows how important money and fame was to her. Sad.
    The story was good, but it wasn't mind blowing. I had an enjoyable time reading it and recommend it but it isn't a book I will reread.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15789443-something-real




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

6 comments

  1. ooh I really want to read this book!! It sounds really great, and I've heard wonderful things about it :) I think reading a book about a reality star's inside life would be quite interesting and much different from how it is depicted on tv. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to read this but for some reason I keep hesitating. Meh. Maybe I'll skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually liked this a bit more than you did, but I can completely see where you're coming from in terms of it just not being mind-blowing for you. Thanks for sharing and fabulous review!

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting book, being broken down into episodes and interviews.Glad you enjoyed it even though it wasn't mind blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This ones sounds interesting. I'm not a fan of reality tv but I do enjoy reading books that are sort of based on it (a little weird, perhaps?) I guess it's a peek behind the curtain so to speak, even if it is fiction.

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sorry it wasn't as good as you thought, I was curious because I heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.