Review of Outlander

The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, and shatter her heart. For here James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire—and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.



There has been so much buzz about Outlander and with the first season of the series out, I really wanted to see what it was all about. I picked up the audiobook and realized that I was in for a commitment, but it was worth it and I really enjoyed the book. The book was read by Davina Porter and was 32 hours, 49 minutes long.

  • The story was so much fun. You get the two time periods and watch how they merge and how much times have changed. It was so interesting to see how they did medicine in 1743 compared to what Claire knew from 1945. There was one part when they even stuck leeches on Jamie’s face, I just cannot imagine how it would be if we still used this older medieval medicine nowadays. It was neat seeing all the herbs, especially since I really enjoy using my essential oils. There are some things that span the centuries!
  • I really , really liked Claire as the main character. She was smart, headstrong, stubborn and kind-hearted. I loved her passion for life and can totally relate to her passion for Jamie lol.
  • Let’s talk about Jamie. My oh my, Jamie is one amazing hunk of man. He is Scottish, red-haired, immensely gorgeous, funny, witty and innocent. I can understand why Claire would go along with the plan that eventually makes her his wife lol. There are so many intimate moments in their relationship where I wish I could jump into the book and take Claire’s spot.
  • There is so much action and adventure packed into this book that I can definitely see how it would be loved by both genders, there is romance, torture, fighting, hiding, suspense and witchcraft in this book, and that is just to name a few!
  • The world-building and character development in this book was amazing. I could not imagine writing it, Diana must have just had a room full of post-it notes and charts to make sure that she had all her characters correct. Plus the research for both time periods was amazing. The book was impeccably well done.

  • The only real gripe I had was that sometimes the book was extra lengthy and went in odd directions. There was so much travel and so many different places in the book that sometimes I felt like we were going around in circles instead of working on a plot and climax.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10964.Outlander





https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

6 comments

  1. I read this book a few years ago because my mom LOVED the series... while I enjoyed it, I agree with you about the circling feeling. I loved how I felt like I was transported with Claire. I watched the pilot of the series and it looks like they did a pretty good job sticking to the book.

    Great review! Will you continue reading (or listening to) the series?
    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing review! Cant wait to check out this read! This will be added to my to read list right now. Thanks for sharing =) Keep in touch x

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think as the series goes on, it has the potential to appeal to both male & female readers even more. As much as I love the whole series (and the first book is still my favorite) there is A LOT of focus on the romance which I know is not what every guy out there is looking for in a book! And you are right -- the book IS lengthy and only gets lengthier as the series goes on, but I look at it as more of an expansive saga rather than a straight-forward story leading to a resolution. I love how it follows their lives and adventures on all kinds of crazy directions -- but you do need to be in the mood for that kind of thing to make the time to continue reading such chunksters :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow 32 hours. To be honest I haven't picked up Outlander because it's really intimidating! It definitely doesn't look like a light read though. But the traveling back through time part sounds really awesome! Is the TV series any good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie has been my main book boyfriend for over 10 years now. And I don't foresee that ever changing. God, he's perfection. And Sam Hueghan portrays him perfectly. Gorgeous! Have you started the show yet?
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard so many amazing things about this author, and this makes me want to read the book! I think it might take me as long as Game of Thrones will, which is something I am hoping to tackle this winter! Thanks for the awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.