Review of Mortal Danger

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Edie Kramer has a score to settle with the beautiful people at Blackbriar Academy. Their cruelty drove her to the brink of despair, and four months ago, she couldn't imagine being strong enough to face her senior year. But thanks to a Faustian compact with the enigmatic Kian, she has the power to make the bullies pay. She's not supposed to think about Kian once the deal is done, but devastating pain burns behind his unearthly beauty, and he's impossible to forget.

In one short summer, her entire life changes, and she sweeps through Blackbriar, prepped to take the beautiful people down from the inside. A whisper here, a look there, and suddenly... bad things are happening. It's a heady rush, seeing her tormentors get what they deserve, but things that seem too good to be true usually are, and soon, the pranks and payback turns from delicious to deadly. Edie is alone in a world teeming with secrets and fiends lurking in the shadows. In this murky morass of devil's bargains, she isn't sure who—or what--she can trust. Not even her own mind...
I loved Ann Aguirre's series, The Razorland Trilogy, so I was super excited to get my hands on Mortal Danger. I didn't really read any summaries, so I had no real idea what I was getting myself into. I was actually really surprised with the depth of the story. I could tell that Ann took a lot of time developing and researching this story. I listened to the audiobook, it was read by Susan Hansfield and was 12 hours, 20 minutes long.

  • The story was very unique. I loved how she took concepts that were human myths and made them into truths. I loved the character development and not knowing what was going to happen next.
  • It was quickly easy to relate to Edie. Although I never was teased the way she was, it is definitely something that all of us have had happen at sometime. It also makes you really think about those times you teased someone and how deep the hurt really goes.
  • The whole deal was interesting, she was given three "wishes" of her own, but then would have to preform a debt of her own for her wish granter. I am not sure I would have taken the deal, but I guess when Edie felt like she was at the end of her rope, it seemed like a light at the end of the tunnel.
  • I loved that Edie realizes that she was wrong about people, that looks don't mean everything and people act a certain way often for a reason. There is a cause and effect that causes our personalities and who we are. I liked that the evils weren't just evil, they were people too.
  • The book is so action filled you get caught up in the pacing and want to know what happens next. I definitely will continue with the series because I want to know what is going to happen next.

  • There was a bit of insta-love. I know that Kian watched her from afar for quite some time, but it just seems so rushed. I wish that it would have been a bit more slow burn. I like that tension period and it seemed to skip right into love. 
  • The story, at times, was hard to follow. I may not be well versed on the conspiracies and urban myths, so that could have been a personal downfall, but I was aware of some of them. It definitely made me want to do some more research. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13508415-mortal-danger




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

6 comments

  1. The only Aguirre books I've read so far is her NA trilogy. But I've been dying to get my hands on this one. I'm glad you liked it. I've heard quite a bit of mixed things. Hopefully I can get to it sooner rather than later. You've got me excited. :)
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this book sounds really interesting and something I don't think I've seen done before. I find Faustian contracts really interesting, so maybe I'll keep an eye out for this one... although Insta Love does annoy me, to be fair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I love action packed stories with good characters and great pacing :D despite the insta-love this sounds like a really nice read

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to read this, so it's good to hear that it was enjoyable. I'm not a fan of instalove, but I can deal with it.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a copy of this from Comic Con but haven't had time to read it yet. It sounds so good though! Glad you enjoyed it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. Another book I can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.