Review of Fangirl

From the author of the New York Times bestseller Eleanor & Park.

A coming-of-age tale of fan fiction, family and first love.

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...

But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?

"Touching and utterly real." —  Publisher's Weekly
I have loved everything that Rainbow Rowell has created. I think that Rainbow can read my mind and feel my soul, she writes characters that I love and can relate to. She is seriously magic. I am going to auto-order anything and everything she writes from now on!

  • Cath was awesome. I loved her desire to write, her passion for fan fiction and her introverted personality. I loved that she didn't know who she was, but then she did at some points. I felt like I wanted to be friends with her. I would totally have been drawn to her like Reagan and Levi were. 
  • Oh Levi, you were such good pickings to start prepping for NaNoWriMo. He was such a perfect book crush and I was sucked in the first night they hung out alone. 
  • The story was simple and complex, it was such the perfect mix. I loved the main story, but then the added layers, it just shows how complex daily life really is. 
  • Rainbow's pacing is amazing. I am compelled to continue reading even when I shouldn't. Let's just say I read this book in places I wasn't really supposed to read. 

  • The only part of the book I wasn't super keen on was the actual fan fiction, but honestly I didn't even really give it a try. I was so caught up in Cath's story that I had a hard time switching focus. I might just go back through and strictly read the fan fiction next time.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16068905-fangirl?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

11 comments

  1. Oh I liked this one! I wasn't a fan of the fan fiction so at the end I didn't read them but the whole story was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did like the fanfiction, but there were times that I would read it verry quickly in order to get back to Cath and Levi time! I looove this book so much, just everything about it was so heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you really liked it! Fangirl is my favorite out of all of Rowell's books, but all of them are so well written! Definitely read them all! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh I think blogger just ate my comment so I'm going to try again :(

    Isn't this book great? I felt like Rowell had crawled into my head, it was weird and wonderful all at once lol I'm glad you enjoyed it too!

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a good book! I have added it to my list!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of these days I'm actually going to read this book. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. I need to read this - everyone keeps talking about this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree - this book was amazing. Everything, from characters, story, emotions, love interests, sister bonding - perfect. I didn't have problem with fan fiction part of the story - I enjoyed it, a lot. I would so read that book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is definitely my kind of book, I do think I would be able to relate to the characters!
    Www.theperksofbeingabookwormx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been seeing a lot of positive reviews for Rainbow Rowell's books, and I finally got Eleanor and Park, so I look forward to trying that! If I like it, this will definitely be my next read!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.