Review of Beauty Queens

When a plane crash strands thirteen teen beauty contestants on a mysterious island, they struggle to survive, to get along with one another, to combat the island's other diabolical occupants, and to learn their dance numbers in case they are rescued in time for the competition.Written by Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz Award-winning author of A Great and Terrible Beauty and Going Bovine. The result is a novel that will make you laugh, make you think, and make you never see beauty the same way again.







I haven't read any Libba Bray before Beauty Queens, but I have heard amazing things and decided to finally try it. Beauty Queens was so intriguing. I could not figure out how the book was going to be portrayed but I totally enjoyed how she worked the story out.

  •  Libba is hilarious. There were quite a few laugh out loud, almost spit out your coffee moments.
  • There is a perfect amount of satire about beauty queens and reality of what is it really like to be a girl. I was worried at first that the whole beauty girl bashing was going to be a bit much, but it was ok.
  • The story was definitely original and I loved how Libba took on "the Corporation." There definitely is a great message behind the story.
  • I really enjoyed some of the girls, I loved how they blossomed and figured out who they are when they are stuck on this island.

  •  The story just kept going and going. I could not figure out what the plot was and when the story was going to end. First they land on an island and then there is something else and then something else and then something else. It was never ending and felt like a LOT piled into one book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9464733-beauty-queens




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

5 comments

  1. Amazing review! Cant wait to check out this read! This will be added to my to read list right now. Thanks for sharing =)

    Benish | Feminist Reflections
    A Thousand Pieces of You Hardcover Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this years ago, so I don't remember the details. But I do remember enjoying it. Like you, I wasn't blown away.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm quite intrigued by the cover!! :)
    Thanks for the awesome review!
    btw,
    I've nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award! Cheers!
    http://eccentric-everything.blogspot.com/2014/11/one-lovely-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost picked this book up last week. I hate when the story seems pointless but I still may wind up reading this book. Another great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beauty Queens was hilarious! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.