Review of Angelfall

It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.


I have seen Angelfall around for quite some time, I just never really thought about picking it up. I am glad that I did, I really enjoyed it. Angels are such a neat subject matter, and it was interesting to see them in the light that Angelfall uses. I listened to the audiobook, it was 8 hours, 46 minutes long, read by Caitlin Davies.

  • The story starts and bang you are into it, you have no idea exactly what is going on but you need to know. I love dystopian so much because part of the thrill is finding out how the apocalypse happened. I didn’t really read the summary on this one, so I was pretty excited to hear that it was angels who caused the downfall on earth.
  • I really loved Penryn and her crazy mother. Penryn had to be the strong, leader of her family because her mother is literally off her rocker. Penryn loses her mother at point in the book and realizes that her mother as finally found her when a dead man is mutilated. Crazy town!
  • The slow burn, still slow burning “romance” between Raffe and Penryn was awesome. Since I have been watching Chuck, it reminds me of that sexual attraction and the rules against the romance between Chuck and Sarah.
  • The side characters were entertaining, I especially liked the twins. I am definitely excited to see where this story goes. Small spoiler, but you really don’t figure out what is going on by the end of the book. I am interested enough to continue on.

  • There was a few times I felt like the story was dragging, I was like “get there already!” I think I talked to my radio like I am a guy watching a football game.
  • The book was good and made sense until we got to the basement of the hotel place. The whole scene downstairs with the kids and scorpion things was weird to say the least. I just couldn’t figure it all out with the beginning story line. I am hoping this is cleared up in the 2nd book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11500217-angelfall




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

9 comments

  1. I'm a little worried about those dragging parts, which I've heard others mention as well. I do have a copy of this one though and I hope to read it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you had a lot better luck with it than me. I didn't hate, but really disliked it. I just thought the whole book was boring. Yet, I still bought book 2. :P
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh -flails- I bought this one, but I totally forgot to read it, but so glad to hear you loved it.. despite the dragging parts, lol I know how that feels x.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when I forget to read the blurb and am totally surprised by what happens! Haha! I've seen this one around a lot too but, like you, just never picked it up. Maybe I'll go ahead and try it sometime soon! Thanks for sharing :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I think I talked to my radio like I am a guy watching a football game." *laughs* I can see that. Penryn needed a bit of encouraging every now and then. Re: gripe #2, I don't want to say anything for fear of spoilers, but I think you'll be ok if you keep reading it.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes I heard great things about this one and I confess that I'm curious to discover it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fantasy books with angels and my friends keep recommending this series. Glad you enjoyed it, too- another reason I have to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had this book for almost a year. I'll read it eventually. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bought Angelfall this week and I can't wait to read it. Your review makes me even jumpier HAHA a lot of people have been recommending this to me. HAHA

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.