DNF - Maplecroft

Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her mother forty whacks; and when she saw what she had done, she gave her father forty-one....

The people of Fall River, Massachusetts, fear me. Perhaps rightfully so. I remain a suspect in the brutal deaths of my father and his second wife despite the verdict of innocence at my trial. With our inheritance, my sister, Emma, and I have taken up residence in Maplecroft, a mansion near the sea and far from gossip and scrutiny.

But it is not far enough from the affliction that possessed my parents. Their characters, their very souls, were consumed from within by something that left malevolent entities in their place. It originates from the ocean’s depths, plaguing the populace with tides of nightmares and madness.

This evil cannot hide from me. No matter what guise it assumes, I will be waiting for it. With an axe.


 The whole Lizzie Borden "re-telling" sounded amazing, but when I actually started reading I was sadly mistaken. The story starts off with animals that have too many apendages and weird monsters. It was not at all the story I was expending. I also struggled with the writing and found myself zoning out when I was reading. Sadly, Maplecroft was not for me. But don't take it from only me, quite a few people enjoyed this story!




https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20821288-maplecroft?from_search=true

https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

3 comments

  1. eak sorry to hear this one just did not work for you, been kind of looking forward to reading it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seemed so good to me. Thanks for the honest review though!

    Ivana @ Bookish Teens

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no I was so curious about this one! I heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.