Review of Sail

Since the death of her husband, Anne Dunne and her three children have struggled in every way. In a last ditch effort to save the family, Anne plans an elaborate sailing vacation to bring everyone together once again. But only an hour out of port, everything is going wrong. The teenage daughter, Carrie, is planning to drown herself. The teenage son, Mark, is high on drugs and ten-year-old Ernie is nearly catatonic. This is the worst vacation ever.
Anne manages to pull things together bit by bit, but just as they begin feeling like a family again, something catastrophic happens. Survival may be the least of their concerns.
Written with the blistering pace and shocking twists that only James Patterson can master, SAIL takes "Lost" and "Survivor" to a new level of terror.





I grabbed Sail on a whim when I was at the cabin. My aunt borrowed it from a friend in Seattle and read it on the airplane out to visit me (and hang out at the cabin too, but we know what’s important). I have read a bit of YA James Patterson, so it was fun to add an “adult” book into my reading schedule.

  • The pacing was well done, it kept you flowing quickly through the book. It was perfect for reading on a road trip or laying on the beach.
  • I enjoyed the family and the dynamics. Nothing is ever easy, so it is good to see a realistic, dysfunctional family who wants to figure it out.
  • For some reason, people stranded on islands intrigues me. Swiss Family Robinson and Gilligan’s Island here we come! I just love the depth of emotion that being stranded can bring. It really brings out either your good side or your bad side.
  • The side characters were well-done and well-rounded. They added to the story and we neither too much or too little.
  • The mystery of the book was also well-done. As in all of this stories, it has to keep you hooked and give you just enough to want to keep reading.
  • I was happy with the ending, there is no Gone Girl business in this one.

  • Not really anything, it was good, but not life-changing.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2029176.Sail?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

6 comments

  1. Love it when a book portrays the ups and the downs of families...always nice to see what's real. The mystery sounds fabulous, too!

    Nice review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good and really intense. I must admit that I don't remember reading anything by J.Patterson so far *hides*, but I have to remedy that. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I read this book 5 years ago when on my honeymoon. I needed something for the flight, and this was perfect. Your review is bringing back good memories of it. I really enjoyed it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting book. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of this book before, but it sounds interesting. It sounds like it is a contemporary novel is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about good but not life changing. Sometimes that is the only thing to say for a con in the book.

    Great review and thanks for sharing this new book with me. :)

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.