Brainstorming and Preparing for NaNoWriMo


I have attempted National November Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) a few times, but last year I finally “won” and finished out my novel at about 68,000 words written souly during the month of November. If you have never heard of NaNoWriMo here is the website link. It is a free event that gets you together with other writers in your area and helps you keep track of your daily word count. The community is amazing and so supportive. They also get published writers on board to give you helpful advice, tips of the trade and some good ole pep talks. It is an awesome experience and feels amazing when you accomplish the 50,000 word goal during the month. I have met amazing people and it has helped me become a better writer and really experience my dream of one day having a published novel.
Last year when I started to brainstorm for my novel, I used a fellow blogger’s post “Sketch a Novel in an Hour Exercise.” I really loved the post and wanted to share it with you. I find myself going back to this post quite a bit because it seemed to work best for me to develop my story.
1. What makes your character different or unusual? What makes him or her worth writing (and reading) about?
2. When the story opens, what interesting or exciting thing is he or she doing, or on the brink of doing.
3. What external event, beyond the control of the character, will influence the action throughout the story? This may not be their initial goal, but it is the one that will drive them through the bulk of the story.
4. For the time the story covers, what is your character's primary goal?
5. What are at least three obstacles in the way of achieving your character’s goal?
6. What qualities of the character will help or hinder him in meeting that goal?
7. How will your character change or grow as a result of confronting the obstacles and either overcoming them, or being defeated by them?
8. What is at stake? What is the cost to your character of NOT achieving his goal?
9. What is the darkest moment?
10. What outcome do you want to bring about? Will the character achieve his goal, or fail to overcome the obstacles?
Putting It All Together
1. What makes your character different or unusual? What makes him or her worth writing (and reading) about?
2. When the story opens, what interesting or exciting thing is he or she doing, or on the brink of doing.
3. What external event, beyond the control of the character, will influence the action throughout the story?
4. For the time the story covers, what is your character's primary goal? This may not be their initial goal, but it is the one that will drive them through the bulk of the story.
5. What are at least three obstacles in the way of achieving your character’s goal?
6. What qualities of the character will help or hinder him in meeting that goal?
7. How will your character change or grow as a result of confronting the obstacles and either overcoming them, or being defeated by them?
8. What is at stake? What is the cost to your character of NOT achieving his goal?
9. What is the darkest moment?
10. What outcome do you want to bring about? Will the character achieve his goal, or fail to overcome the obstacles?
11. What price will the character pay as the result of this resolution, or to make this ending come about?


https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

4 comments

  1. Thanks for this! The closest I've gotten in the 3 years I've tried NaNoWriMo, was 30,000 words I think. I'm planning to do much better this year (I hope) and part of that is planning ahead of time. I've printed this out and I'm going to work on it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome advice! I love it! I'm going to be posting some NaNoWriMo tips on my blog this week - so stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't really work with exercises like this. They tire me out to the point where when I'm done with them, I don't feel like writing the story anymore, because planning it that meticulously takes all the fun out of it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karolina and I are actually joining NaNoWriMo this year as well, so it'd be great to follow each other's progress :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.