Review of The Truth About Alice

Everyone knows Alice slept with two guys at one party.

But did you know Alice was sexting Brandon when he crashed his car?

It's true. Ask ANYBODY.


Rumor has it that Alice Franklin is a slut. It's written all over the bathroom stall at Healy High for everyone to see. And after star quarterback Brandon Fitzsimmons dies in a car accident, the rumors start to spiral out of control.

In this remarkable debut novel, four Healy High students—the girl who has the infamous party, the car accident survivor, the former best friend, and the boy next door—tell all they know.

But exactly what is the truth about Alice? In the end there's only one person to ask: Alice herself.


I have been excited to read The Truth about Alice for a while, it actually was one of my Waiting on Wednesday posts a couple weeks ago. I was a super lucky duck when I won a signed hardcover addition! EEK!


  • I was drawn in from the beginning. I loved the multiple POVs and I really needed to know the truth.
  • I felt the book was really realistic. High School sucks for rumors. One “popular” person can decide that someone is going to be bullied and everyone goes with it. Even Alice’s best friend turned her back on Alice.
  • There is a quote on the back of the book that is totally true and hits home:
  • I loved Kurt. I felt like he was my favorite character. He knew who he was, didn’t change himself to fit in and saw past all the rumors surrounding Alice.
  • I could not imagine being Alice. I think she handled the situation fairly well. I guess I would have felt like I would have stood up for myself more, but if it does come down to one word against another, that is tough.

  • Alice just didn’t do what I wanted her to do. Maybe the ending was more realistic. It has been a bit of time since I was out of high school and we didn’t have any social media or anything like that when I was in school, but I just thought the ending would have been a bit more mind-blowing. I kinda felt the same at the end of The Truth about Alice as I did with The Spectacular Now.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16068341-the-truth-about-alice?from_search=true


 
 
https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

10 comments

  1. I have had this on my list to read too. But I have seen some mixed reviews. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read so many books where the characters don't do what you want them to do--sometimes, though, if they did, the story would be over! How disappointing, though, that the ending didn't blow your mind. I do want to read this eventually...just so many other books ahead of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I was not sure about this one when I read the description. I've read a lot of high school bullying books that seemed to just bring up that issue for drama. But now that I've read some reviews, I think I might want to try this one!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Alice felt like so much more of a stronger character than how things ended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Glad you like the multiple POVs. Shows that it goes well with the story. Will keep this book in mind on my next book buying spree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book has been on my to-read list forever! I'm glad that it's pretty realistic. It seems like most books about high school are really idealized. It's too bad the end of the book wasn't what you'd hoped. Thanks for sharing!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard great things about this book. Glad you liked it too. Now I can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this on my TBR. I hope to get to read it soon. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one did tug at my emotions and I was drawn in right away too

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely LOVED this book! Eep! It has gotten some mixed reviews, so I always get so excited whenever I find someone who appreciated it, too! The realistic tone is what sucked me in. And I loved the multiple points of view like you!

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.