Review of Ruin & Rising

The capital has fallen.

The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.

Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.


Oh Ruin & Rising, you have successfully give me a trilogy that I can say I love EVERY single book so much! This series was the perfect mixture of romance, action, evil and wit. I read all of these books so quickly that I need to go back and read them again. I ate them up, so delicious! My likes and dislikes below are not going to give anything away, so please continue reading even if you haven’t read this series (YOU SHOULD).

  • The story picks right up from the end of the action in the second book, Siege and Storm. Alina is working on getting herself figured out and she really starts to realize that she is more than an orphan girl, she is the Sun Summoner and now has responsibility outside herself.
  • I love the little gang of mismatched soldiers and Grisha’s that accompany Alina and Mal on their journey. All of them together have great attributes, just not really any skills for what they are doing, and completely different personalities. It made the book a bigger adventure because not everything was going perfectly.
  • I loved the surprises in the book. I have to admit that I did not see them coming, maybe I wasn’t looking hard enough, but I enjoyed the surprise and how it worked into the story. The ending kinda reminded me a bit of the triumph at the end of Harry Potter.
  • I seriously have a HUGE crush on Nikolai. Man oh man, he is like the good-hearted bad boy that you just fall head over heels for. I think he has to be number one on my list of book boyfriends, and if he was real, my husband would HAVE to be jealous! I have no idea how Alina can resist him, must be true love with Mal for sure, or else she would have been a goner for that wit, charm and sheer amazingness.
  • The firebird part of the story was amazing. We knew the adventures of looking for the other amplifiers, but this one had to be the most intriguing and action packed.
  • I love, love, loved learning more about Morozova’s past. I would be head over heels with Leigh if she would write a prequel about Morozova’s life and his quest for the amplifiers and his family’s history. SO GOOD!

  • If you think I have a gripe than you are CRAZY!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14061957-ruin-and-rising?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

11 comments

  1. I keep hearing many gerat things about the series and I know I really need to try it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series but I have literally never seen a bad review. I guess I'm actually going to have to read it at some point! I'm glad you're loving it so much! Isn't there one more to go? Thanks for sharing!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a big fan of the series but I'm glad you loves it thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I love your gripe! :) Really this book was perfection and I'm so happy you loved it too! I really cannot wait for The Dregs to come out now, as I need to get back to this world! Great review, Missie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good book, when you get a crush on one of the characters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, I need to read this! I've read and loved Shadow and Bone as well as Siege and Storm, so I think it's time I pick up Ruin and Rising, don't you think?! I'm so glad to hear that Nikolai is still loveable and amazing! I miss him so much Bookish Affairs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book!! I've been wanting to read Shadow and Bone, but i seriously CANNOT find it anywhere!! You make me want to read it fast because you make it seem exciting. Thanks for the review! Adding the whole series in my TBR :D

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of my friends love if not are obsessed with this series. Glad they keep making you happy. I'm definitely going to give them a try in the near future. Thanks for sharing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with all your points on this book and this series! (Especially on the amazingness of Nikolai!) It's wonderful how this book wraps up everything so well! I'm glad you loved it!

    Charlene @ Bookish Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who doesn't have a crush on Nikolai? *swoons*

    This was definitely a great way to end the trilogy. So many surprises!

    Fabulous review :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this series so much! I agree on the Nikolai front, want a book with just him!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.