Review of Isla and the Happily Ever After

Love ignites in the City That Never Sleeps, but can it last?

From the glittering streets of Manhattan to the moonlit rooftops of Paris, falling in love is easy for hopeless dreamer Isla and introspective artist Josh. But as they begin their senior year in France, Isla and Josh are quickly forced to confront the heartbreaking reality that happily-ever-afters aren’t always forever.

Their romantic journey is skillfully intertwined with those of beloved couples Anna and Étienne and Lola and Cricket, whose paths are destined to collide in a sweeping finale certain to please fans old and new.


Isla and the Happily Ever After was one of my most anticipated books of the summer. I gobbled up both Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door. I love Stephanie Perkins’ view of the world and her approach to life and romance.

  • I loved Isla. I feel like I could relate to her, she was a little shy, goofy, fiercely loyal and sometimes got lost in the mix of her family. She also loved madly and crushed hard. Sadly, I didn’t really ever get the boy that I was crushing on that hard, but I could still relate.
  • This was that from-afar-attraction. I love when you don’t realize that someone has been admiring you and how awesome it is when it is put together.
  • I love the boarding school setting in books, and this one went back to Anna and St. Clair’s starting place, the boarding school in Paris.
  • Josh was probably one of my favorite characters in the first book, so it was awesome to have him as a main character in Isla. I can just see him as that gawky, but hot, arty boy with charcoal on the sides of his hands and tattoos. YUM! As you can tell, he is definitely a book crush.
  • I loved having old friends in the book, Anna, St. Clair, Lola, Cricket! Yes yes! It was so fun. I want them all to move to the same cul-de-sac and grown old together, their babies playing together in the front yard and everyone taking family vacations together to exotic places.

  • There was a little more insta-love and a little less slow-burn than I want. I know that there was all this history, but I still wanted the awkward coming together stage just a little bit longer.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9627755-isla-and-the-happily-ever-after?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

12 comments

  1. I won Isla via goodreads a few weeks ago so just need to get Lola and I'm all set to binge read the series. But I hate series enders. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that it was a little instalovey, but Isla does sound like a great character

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the insta-love was really a major "why?" moment. But still a great book. And the best part was when everyone came back to Paris. *sigh*
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED ISLA! I think I agree with you about the insta-love vs. the slow burn though, which is why Anna and the French Kiss is my favorite out of the trilogy with Isla next, then Lola. (BUT I LOVE THEM ALL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a delightful book. Must read this series soon - have I said that a lot?? Yep, pretty sure I have. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One day I'll have to try this author because I keep hearing great things about her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to check this out, but I'm nervous since I didn't like Lola or Anna's books :( ehhhhh this sounds so perfect though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read my copy of this book. I've heard the same complaint about the lack of build up, but the general consensus seems to be good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so behind on this series! I loved Anna and haven't read Lola or this one yet. But it sounds like the characters are just as wonderful and easy to like. I'm also a huge fan of boarding school settings! We don't have any anywhere near me so they're kind of exotic for me I guess haha. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The romance was a bit quick, but such a great story overall! And it was such fun to see Anna, St. Clair, Lola, Cricket at the end :)

    Fabulous review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that it didn't take long for them to get together. sometimes I get tired of waiting for two characters to get together when you know they like each other. That would be so cool to have them all living together or like the tv show friends where they live next door to each other and is always at each others places.

    If you want I tagged you for the Autumn Book Tag. http://ashlyhbooks.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-autumn-book-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got this one just recently, and I can't wait to read it. Glad you enjoyed it!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.