Review of As Red As Blood

In the midst of the freezing Arctic winter, seventeen-year-old Lumikki Andersson walks into her school’s dark room and finds a stash of wet, crimson-colored money. Thousands of Euros left to dry—splattered with someone’s blood.
Lumikki lives alone in a studio apartment far from her parents and the past she left behind. She transferred into a prestigious art school, and she’s singularly focused on studying and graduating. Lumikki ignores the cliques, the gossip, and the parties held by the school’s most popular and beautiful boys and girls.
But finding the blood-stained money changes everything. Suddenly, Lumikki is swept into a whirlpool of events as she finds herself helping to trace the origins of the money. Events turn even more deadly when evidence points to dirty cops and a notorious drug kingpin best known for the brutality with which he runs his business.
As Lumikki loses control of her carefully constructed world, she discovers that she’s been blind to the forces swirling around her—and she’s running out of time to set them right. When she sees the stark red of blood on snow, it may be too late to save her friends or herself.


I grabbed As Red as Blood on a whim during my “free 3 month membership” to Audible. Amazon is doing that promotion, so give it a shot, it is nice way to get some free audiobooks even if you don’t join the program. I love dark mysteries and this one did not disappoint. As Red as Blood was 6 hours, 9 minutes long, read by Amy McFadden.

  • I loved the location and the setting of the story. It was awesome, I have always been intrigued by that Ukraine, Russian environment. It just seems so secret and foreign.
  • I loved Lumikki, she was an awesome MC. I loved her solitude, her attitude, but her soft spot that really got her stuck in the whole situation in the first place. I love how she has trained herself to be unseen and unheard.
  • The mystery was intriguing and I kept wanting to sit in my car and keep listening so I could figure out what was going to happen next. The whole drug kingpin, bad cop, innocent bystander all make up for good keys to the story.
  • When the story started with who translated the story to English, I was really worried that the whole story would just be lacking, that the world-building would fall apart and there would be no distinct flow. I was wrong. The story did so well in translation.

  • I grabbed the story because I was under the impression that it was a fairy tale re-telling. I didn’t really see any resemblance of Snow White, other than she was helping others, in the story. Lumikki’s name means Snow White, but that was really all the fairy tale that was in the story.
  • The mystery was a bit confusing sometimes. There were multiple POVs, which I like, but at least in the audiobook format, it was sometimes really hard to tell who was talking and what part of the story we jumped to.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21417381-as-red-as-blood






https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

7 comments

  1. The location and mystery sounds good but sorry to hear it wasn't exactly what you'd expected as far as retelling status

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lumikki sounds like such a great MC! Very curious about the setting and mystery, too. I hadn't heard of this one before, but I'll have to check it out now. *adds to TBR list*

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not usually much for mysteries, but there are several elements to this story that definitely appeal to me -- like the setting in Russia, and Lumikki as an MC. It seems to have such an unusual premise too, with a teenager living without her parents and attending an art school. It's different from what I usually read, but it also seems different enough from the "typical mystery" that it appeals to me.

    Lina @ Every Book a World

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is a new one to me but it sounds intriguing! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this one but it sounds so good. I love mysteries && the MC sounds good. I also like multiple POVs.. I'm adding this on my TBR list (I really hope I can get my hands on this~~) Great review! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does seem like kind of a weird way to retell Snow White... I mean, I didn't read the book but your description does scream retelling at me. I am glad that the translation was done well though. A bad translation can really break a book. Thanks for sharing!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heard nothing but good things about this, and love the location, haven't read any set in Ukraine. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.