Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.
Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.
With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.
- I loved the setting. A private school in the south, it was almost as good as a boarding school!
- Harper was the typical high school girl, she wanted to be stop of her class, Homecoming Queen and run the school. She wasn’t a “mean girl” which I really liked, but she still strives for the best.
- I loved the whole story that comes out after Harper’s mysterious “kiss.” It was like combining a Southern Belle into World of Warcraft! Paladins and Oracles, Mages and more!
- Oh David, he was definitely my crush in this one. I loved the slow burn and the “almost” love triangle totally worked in this story.
- The side characters could have been more developed, so I am hoping that we will get to know them better as the story progresses.
- The ending was kinda, a little bit, a cliff hanger. It always makes me struggle a bit more when my story isn’t wrapped up in a pretty little bow and I have to wait. I want to know NOW! Makes me want to be a two year old and throw a tantrum until I get what I want!