Review of Rebel Belle

Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.

Sometimes I don’t read synopsis because I really like the surprise. I was totally in love with the cover of Rebel Belle and had to get my hands on it. I did a free three month membership with Audible and downloaded it right away. I was blow away by how different it was than what I had pictured in my head, luckily I really enjoyed it still! The book was read by Amy Rubinate and was 9 hours, 22 minutes long.

  • I loved the setting. A private school in the south, it was almost as good as a boarding school!
  • Harper was the typical high school girl, she wanted to be stop of her class, Homecoming Queen and run the school. She wasn’t a “mean girl” which I really liked, but she still strives for the best.
  • I loved the whole story that comes out after Harper’s mysterious “kiss.” It was like combining a Southern Belle into World of Warcraft! Paladins and Oracles, Mages and more!
  • Oh David, he was definitely my crush in this one. I loved the slow burn and the “almost” love triangle totally worked in this story.
  • The side characters could have been more developed, so I am hoping that we will get to know them better as the story progresses.
  • The ending was kinda, a little bit, a cliff hanger. It always makes me struggle a bit more when my story isn’t wrapped up in a pretty little bow and I have to wait. I want to know NOW! Makes me want to be a two year old and throw a tantrum until I get what I want!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8475505-rebel-belle




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

15 comments

  1. First off, thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday! I love commenting back so if you're "thirsty" for blog love you can count on me to feed ya some ;)

    The cover is so pretty! I live in the South and a "southern bell" school appeals to me. Is there a book 2?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review Missie! I'm still not sure why I haven't read this yet, but it definitely interests me! I'm not sure how I feel about the undeveloped side characters (or less developed), but I think I'm going to give it a go anyways! On to the TBR it goes :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Setting sounds awesome! But oh, a cliffhanger...those always frustrate me! Still, I'm definitely checking this out, I loved the author's previous novels.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting - I've never heard of this book. It's probably not something I'd usually read, but maybe I'd give it a try. You did say it was totally different from what the cover suggests... Thanks for sharing :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been eyeing this one up for quite some time now, I really think it's one I am going to enjoy. I hate cliffhangers though, so might need to wait until a sequel is out before I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard nothing but amazing things about this one. And I thoroughly enjoyed Hawkin's Hex Hall series(you should check it out if you haven't). Even though I own it, I'm going to wait until the second book is out. I don't want to have another cliff hanger keeping me company. :P
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if the writer plans to do a sequel, so she left the ending open? Sounds like a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like an interesting read, might just have to check this one out. I also like your "likes" and "gripes" layout for your reviews, it's straight to the point. Love it.
    Sharon @ Sharon's Book Nook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh. Those cliffhangers. But the romance sounds good. :) I've always seen this book around, but never got to reading. Great review! :)

    Cindy @ In This World of Books..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand you I would love to have the next novel in these condtions. I confess I'm quite curious. I like this author and this one looks good. Plus I love the cover! great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen this one around but never really cared about it... now I feel like I want to read it. It sounds good especially the romance :) and I kind of like cliffhangers in book series.. makes you want to grab the next one immediately. Great review! I'm adding this to my tbr~~

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL I was drawn to this one for its cover as well! ;) I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It's a book I'm really looking forward to reading! Thanks for the lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful review, Missie! The things that really drew me into reading this was the fact that: the cover is gorgeous, and this is written by the mistress/master of literature, MS. RACHEL HAWKINS, whose Hex Hall trilogy I adored. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this! I've always wanted to listen a book through audiobook, but I never have the time to pick one up! I bet that Harper's character really shone through Amy's voice. Gosh, your got me remembering the powerful cliffhangers! <3

    Michelle @ Happy Indulgence!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh, I keep forgetting I need to read this one! It sounds so adorable, and Rachel Hawkins is just hilarious. Yay for her not being a mean girl--that's sometimes so hard for characters to overcome. Boo to cliffhangers, but maybe since it's been a while since this came out it' won't be too long till the sequel? :)

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.