Review of I Kill the Mockingbird

When Lucy, Elena, and Michael receive their summer reading list, they are excited to see To Kill A Mockingbird included. But not everyone in their class shares the same enthusiasm. So they hatch a plot to get the entire town talking about the well-known Harper Lee classic. They plan controversial ways to get people to read the book, including re-shelving copies of the book in bookstores so that people think they are missing and starting a website committed to “destroying the mockingbird.” Their efforts are successful when all of the hullabaloo starts to direct more people to the book. But soon, their exploits start to spin out of control and they unwittingly start a mini revolution in the name of books.



 

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all-time favorite reads, so I was ridiculously excited to read To Kill A Mockingbird. I absorbed this whole book in just a little over an hour,  I could not put it down and loved every minute of it. I haven't loved a book in a little while, so it was refreshing to finally have a five star review to share!
  • Man oh man, did I love the main characters. Lucy, Elena and Michael and I would be friends if they were real. They were unique, loved books and wanted to share their passion with the world. They decide that they are going to make To Kill a Mockingbird a supply and demand issue to get more kids in their town to read it. Little did they know that it would blow up into a countrywide epidemic.
  • A book with some wit and smart writing kills me. I will fall head over heels with good, smart funnies and this book was right up my alley, There was many times I left out a little snort. 
  • Elena's uncle owns a small bookstore and I was so jealous. In a perfect world, without big box stores and Amazon, it would be so amazing to own a small, cozy bookstore (like in You've Got Mail). The kids hang out in the store like a second home, amazeballs!
  • This is another story where the parents are present in the book. I loved the back story with Lucy's mother's sickness and her family's struggle. It worked so perfectly with the rest of the story. 
  • The little romance between Lucy and Michael was also so cute. A little bit of first love and puppy love all mixed together.

  • Not a one, get your hands on this book!
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18465605-i-kill-the-mockingbird
 



https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

3 comments

  1. This is such a great novel! I am surprised more people haven't read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom is a huge reader too (I must have inherited it from her!), and she keeps telling me to read this one, so to have both of you recommend this one so highly makes me excited! Thanks for sharing, and, as always, BRILLIANT review!

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds so weird! I would probably never have given it a second glance, if not for your review. To Kill a Mockingbird was not one of my favorite school reads, but I didn't hate it either. But this certainly sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.