Review of Flat Out Love

Flat-Out Love is a warm and witty novel of family love and dysfunction, deep heartache and raw vulnerability, with a bit of mystery and one whopping, knock-you-to-your-knees romance.

It's not what you know - or when you see - that matters. It's about a journey.

Something is seriously off in the Watkins home. And Julie Seagle, college freshman, small-town Ohio transplant, and the newest resident of this Boston house, is determined to get to the bottom of it. When Julie's off-campus housing falls through, her mother's old college roommate, Erin Watkins, invites her to move in. The parents, Erin and Roger, are welcoming, but emotionally distant and academically driven to eccentric extremes. The middle child, Matt, is an MIT tech geek with a sweet side ... and the social skills of a spool of USB cable. The youngest, Celeste, is a frighteningly bright but freakishly fastidious 13-year-old who hauls around a life-sized cardboard cutout of her oldest brother almost everywhere she goes.

And there's that oldest brother, Finn: funny, gorgeous, smart, sensitive, almost emotionally available. Geographically? Definitely unavailable. That's because Finn is traveling the world and surfacing only for random Facebook chats, e-mails, and status updates. Before long, through late-night exchanges of disembodied text, he begins to stir something tender and silly and maybe even a little bit sexy in Julie's suddenly lonesome soul.

To Julie, the emotionally scrambled members of the Watkins family add up to something that ... well ... doesn't quite add up. Not until she forces a buried secret to the surface, eliciting a dramatic confrontation that threatens to tear the fragile Watkins family apart, does she get her answer.

Flat-Out Love comes complete with emails, Facebook status updates, and instant messages.


I signed up for a free month on the Amazon Unlimited (essentially like a library membership with a fee) but then I could use the whisper-sync feature and I was in love! I checked out Flat Out Love because the cover is awesome and it has intrigued me since the first time I saw it. I am definitely glad I read/listened to it.

  • The story was so interesting, it definitely was a contemporary romance type of situation, but there was still a little mystery and it made you keep reading so that you could figure out the big picture. 
  • I really enjoyed Celeste. I think she was one of my favorite characters, so I am excited to read Flat Out Celeste soon. I love the way she spoke, her anxiety and her self-awareness. I can totally understand because I do have some ridiculous anxieties and am aware of them, but they are just part of me and that it that.
  • I loved the wit in this book. There was so much snarky sarcasm that I just gobbled up, it is definitely my favorite form of humor. I loved Mattie's t-shirts! 
  • The ending wasn't my complete favorite. I felt like it was a little rushed and a little less connected than I want it to me. The second book in the series is a novella and it is from Matt's perspective, but I definitely don't really think I want to read it. Since they are not really a series and all interconnected, I think I am going to skip it and go straight to Flat Out Celeste.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11096647-flat-out-love





https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

7 comments

  1. I enjoyed this book. I thought the idea was good and I was surprised at the end. I agree with it being rushed, but I nonetheless enjoyed it :) great review!

    Tori @ Bookish Affairs

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a while since I have read this one but yes I remember it as a really amazing story about the journey and I really loved the mystery elements there. It was unpredictable. I'm so happy you enjoyed it. Great review, Missie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read this one. I'll have to check it out. Great review. :D Following you via Bloglovin'. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a great weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! It's a favorite of mine. :) Sarcasm is my favorite form of humor too, so I usually have fun reading books with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this book and I haven't read it yet but great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this book! I didn't know there was a sequel! Thanks for dropping by my blog, new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought this one a few weeks ago, but I haven't started reading it yet. Definitely glad to hear that you liked it so much and that Celeste is such an enjoyable character!

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.