Review of Enlightened

The barrier between Jocelyn Timmons consciousness continues to dissolve as she better understands the two lives she lives and enormity of her newly discovered inherited gift of EVE (Essence Voyager Era) which allows her to fall asleep on one plane of existence and awaken on another as her soul travels nightly.

Present-day Jocelyn uncovers the vast wonderment of the Victorian era but soon learns that life then was not as grand for women as she has read in the classics. Still, she finds comfort in the support of family and friends; a bolstering contrast to her overly hectic, career-oriented family in the twenty-first century. Her love for Jackson Chandler strengthens across time and becomes the light she so desperately needs as the world she has always known no longer makes sense. Yet, the closer she is drawn to Jackson by their mutual ability, the more strain develops amongst those she loves in 2009.

On the other side of Jocelyn’s consciousness in 1878, she remains ignorant of EVE. Her life is crumbling around her, yet she finds herself anxiously awaiting the images that invade her dreams. Jocelyn longs to be the woman she portrays in that world yet her jealousy is unbearable. Miscommunication, betrayal and hidden agendas make trust near impossible. The clearer the visions become the more she questions motives of her closest confidants and foregoes revealing the images that plague her perception. As her life seems to unravel, Jocelyn’s two worlds collide, and she is enlightened as the pieces start to fall into place. But is she strong enough to survive the truth? Is Jackson really her destiny? And can their love transcend time? Find out in Essence’s highly anticipated sequel, Enlightened, Book 2, EVE series.

I really enjoyed the first book in the Eve series, so I jumped in the chance to review the second book in the series when the author contacted me. I wanted to figure out what was going to happen with the characters and how the "time lapse" situation would all work out. Sadly, this book had middle book syndrome and just did not do it for me.

  • I loved learning more about Jocelyn's family history and the huge differences between her two worlds. I cannot imagine how it would seem to me to have someone describe the things we deem normal now. I mean, right at this minute I am typing on my ipad with my wireless keyboard, my iPhone open to my Goodreads app and I am watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the TV. That is a crazy amount of technology in just my living room alone. 
  • I really thought Jocelyn's parents played a good role in this book, along with her brother Ethan. I would freak out if my sister wanted to get married right out of high school to a guy she had met only months ago, so I thought the reactions to the situation were done really well. 

  • I was so bored through a large part of the book. I really keep forcing myself to read, but it was like pulling teeth. I just wanted the story to be done, and quickly. The pacing drug on.
  • The whole issue I had with the book was that the story didn't really go anywhere. Sure, Jocelyn learned more about her family, but I felt like she was so wishy-washy in this book and really whiny! 
  • Honestly, I think that I will still read the next book in the series. I think the concept is really interesting, this book just didn't have enough meat for me. I do really want to see what is next for Jocelyn and figuring out how to live and survive in two different worlds.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20799156-enlightened




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

5 comments

  1. I hate books that bores me but sometimes I just read through and see if it gets interesting.. it sounds like Enlightened didn't really went on nicely to you as it the story goes further but it seems like it made you interested to know more... the blurb is pretty interesting~~ this might be one of those book series I'll wait to finish before starting.. thanks for the honest review! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cover! Sorry to hear it bored you :( I'm reading a book right now and having the exact same feeling as you. It's got beautiful world-building but I just want the story to be done.

    Eileen @ BookCatPin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cover. I would have tried the book out just for that alone. Sounds like you can't judge a book by its cover in this case!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sure doesn't sound fun. I think I'll pass. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate it when the middle book doesn't live up to expectations. :( I'm sorry you didn't love this one. I'm curious about the series and haven't started it yet. Maybe I'll wait until the third book is published.

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.