Review of What's Left of Me

I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.


I found What’s Left of Me when I was browsing through the audiobooks from my library. I didn’t really know anything about it, but the cover sure was neat. It was an interesting story, definitely unique, but I don’t really feel any desire to continue with the series.

  • The story was unique. Both Eva and Addie are in one body, but each have their own souls and personalities. Every human is born with both souls, but one of them normally disappears before the students go to school. When both souls stay in the body they become hybrids and are seen as detrimental to public.
  • I really liked both Eva and Addie, even though they were in the same body, the author did a great job giving them both separate personalities. You could really feel the torment from Eva, who is the soul that was less dominant in the body and did not have control. She could only really speak to Addie in their head space.
  • The side characters in the institution were great. It was so interesting to see how the hybrids reacting to having two souls and for the “normal” humans to treat them like there was something wrong with them. They were going so far as to experiment on them to get rid of the other soul.

  • This story was just flat the whole way through, even in the climax I didn’t really feel any rush or urgency.
  • I don’t really have any desire to read the rest of the series because I don’t really see a strong plot to bring it through. Foreign countries do not treat their hybrids like the US, but then they send drugs here? That just doesn’t really make sense. I think this one could have been a stand-alone if it was resolved a bit more by the end of this book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11043618-what-s-left-of-me





https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

7 comments

  1. I read this book quite some time ago and I remember having pretty much the same feelings. I think I'll still read the sequel but I don't feel like I'll be in love with it. I think I'm doing it more out of obligation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad how the story didn't work out eventhough it has a very unique premise! I've been seeing this series around the blogs, but I never had the chance to read it. Might as well stall to read this because now I am a little wary :) :) And it's not entirely your fault haha checked goodreads and saw the reviews too!

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely agree with this! I think I gave it 3-stars as well...it was mostly the plot DID lack urgency and I didn't really connect to the characters. Although the premise? AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly how you feel, I didn't feel much while reading this and have no desire to read the rest of the series. It's a shame because it was an interesting idea

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book has a really cool premise, and awesome cover, so it is too bad it wasn't well plotted to be interesting throughout. Flat books are so sad when they have so much potential. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds somewhat similar to The Host (kind of). It sucks that you didn't like it because the cover looks amazing. I really stared at it for like, a full minute. I probably won't be reading this. Thanks for the review!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a shame the story was flat, but if I can get over that it still seems like it woudl be an interesting read.

    Great review Missy!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.