Review of We Were Liars

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.


We Were Liars was not at all what I expected. I assumed it would be Pretty Little Liars meets Revenge. But it was not at all that. I was worried at the beginning that I would not finish the book, but then all the sudden, I was already half way done with the book and invested in the story. As the summary goes: “Read it. And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.”

  • The book was so unique, I cannot even compare it to anything else I have read before. It was almost like a diary and conversational prose put together.
  • The setting was neat. The four “liars” got together every summer on an island owned by their grandfather. Each of their mothers lived houses on the island. It was like a quaint little Hamptons feel to the story.
  • The main character is narrating the story. She has grown up in this uppity family that values the way the act, look, and appear to outsiders. She knows that she has been in some sort of accident that caused her to lose her memory and have massive migraines, but cannot seem to piece together what happened. Her mother finally takes her back to the island and she starts to piece together what happened.
  • I loved the way the story was written, it did make the book flow quickly, but it took a bit to get used to. I love the imagery in the story and the true, raw feelings. Along with the suspense, it was a hard book to put down.
  • The theme of the story and the truths that the “liars” saw that the adults couldn’t really made the story resonates. I was impressed with how the story took place and how it went down at the end.

  • Not really a gripe, but this is one I really want to read again now that I have finished it. I definitely did not see the end coming. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16143347-we-were-liars





https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

No comments

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.