Review of #Scandal

Lucy’s learned some important lessons from tabloid darling Jayla Heart’s all-too-public blunders: Avoid the spotlight, don’t feed the Internet trolls, and keep your secrets secret. The policy has served Lucy well all through high school, so when her best friend Ellie gets sick before prom and begs her to step in as Cole’s date, she accepts with a smile, silencing about ten different reservations. Like the one where she’d rather stay home shredding online zombies. And the one where she hates playing dress-up. And especially the one where she’s been secretly in love with Cole since the dawn of time.

When Cole surprises her at the after party with a kiss under the stars, it’s everything Lucy has ever dreamed of… and the biggest BFF deal-breaker ever. Despite Cole’s lingering sweetness, Lucy knows they’ll have to ’fess up to Ellie. But before they get the chance, Lucy’s own Facebook profile mysteriously explodes with compromising pics of her and Cole, along with tons of other students’ party indiscretions. Tagged. Liked. And furiously viral.

By Monday morning, Lucy’s been branded a slut, a backstabber, and a narc, mired in a tabloid-worthy scandal just weeks before graduation.

Lucy’s been battling undead masses online long enough to know there’s only one way to survive a disaster of this magnitude: Stand up and fight. Game plan? Uncover and expose the Facebook hacker, win back her best friend’s trust, and graduate with a clean slate.

There’s just one snag—Cole. Turns out Lucy’s not the only one who’s been harboring unrequited love...


#Scandal is one of those guilty pleasures reads for me. I knew that it was probably going to be a little meh, but I thought it would be the perfect summer book. I was actually really surprised at the depth of the book and theme below the surface.

  • I have said this before, but I am so glad that Facebook was not around when I was in high school. Everything that Lucy went through was ridiculous. I could totally understand her plight to find out who actually stole her phone and to clear her name.
  • I have really liked a friend’s boyfriend before and that is hard. Especially when Lucy started liking him before Ellie was dating him. I totally understand how everything went down and loyalty over love. It was well-written.
  • The underlying theme of the evil side of social media was really well done. I enjoyed the (e)VIL group, and even though they were extreme it made sense to see what technology can do to the masses. I, being more addicted than I should be, totally understand that I need to step away from the internet every once and a while!
  • I haven’t read anything else by Sarah Ockler, but I really enjoyed this one and am definitely going to see what else she has out there. Her prose was easy to read and enjoyable. I read the book in just a few hours.
  • I love Lucy’s obsession with zombie kills, and all the pop culture references to The Walking Dead and Veronica Mars was fun! I love books where the characters are relate-able to me!
  • I really enjoyed the side characters. They embodied so many different type of high schoolers that you could really find someone to relate to.

  • Nothing to report!


https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

No comments

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.