Review of Pawn

YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING.

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.

Pawn was right up my alley, I love a good dystopian with a screwed up caste system! I received Pawn from a giveaway and I am so glad I did, it wasn’t on my radar earlier on and it should have been! I read the whole thing at the lake, toes in the sand and the sun streaming down. It was amazing!

  • This book had all the parts to make up for a good dystopian series – a heroine, a screwed up governing body, a hot boy (or two), people who need to be saved from the government and no real freedom.
  • The whole “face-off” situation in this book was unique. I cannot imagine what Kitty had to feel like. I am trying not to spoil anything, so you will see when you read. But wowizers, it would be interesting to put yourself in her shoes.
  • I loved the whole branding with the caste system. Taking a test to put you into categories. It was an interesting way to keep people under control.
  • The whole governing family was a soap opera, especially the grandmother! You had to keep reading because you didn’t know what would happen next!
  • The book was well-written, I really enjoyed some of the metaphors and the prose in the book. I have never read anything my Amiee Carter, but now I am excited to see what else she has!

  • Along with the “soap opera” situation with governing family, there were multiple times where I was like “seriously?!” There was so much drama that it made it a little outrageous near the end. I really enjoyed the book, but that is definitely what stopped me from giving it a 5 star rating.

     https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10838787-pawn?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

13 comments

  1. I've heard mixed reviews about this book and this series. Pawn still sounds interesting to me, and I think I'm just going to have to sit down and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I'm glad you liked this! Can't wait to read it :) Burn for Burn is so good, enjoy that ;)

    Rachel @A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to check this one out. Sounds like a good dystopian read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been seeing this around! I think I need to give this a try next time! And did you say screwed up gov't and hot boys!? *grabby hands* I am so glad that you thought this a very good dystopian book (I LOVE THIS GENRE)!!! Great review, Missie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes I loved this one when I read it before its release and I'm glad to see you had a good time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I won this in a giveaway and can't wait to start it now.

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds AMAZING. Totally interested- now on my TBR. It sounds almost like Starters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Confession: I used to watch a lot of soap operas. Maybe that means I'll love this one? haha. Great review, Missie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The drama aspect is a little off-putting but you've intrigued me with the rest of your points because I thought I was over dystopian books!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  10. It did get a little over dramatic towards the end but it kept me on my toes, and not knowing what's going to happen is a good thing for me, so I was surprised. But I really loved it, I'd only read the first in her Goddess Test which I was pretty 50/50 about, but enjoyed Pawn so much more. It just had something a little unique and definitely holds it own in the genre. :)

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is another one I had my eye on for a while. I think I kind of like the idea that it seemed like a soap opera. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you enjoyed this one! I was surprised by how much I ended up liking it. I do agree with the slightly outrageous political "soap opera", but I'm glad the rest of it did good. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know, I love this book, I was able to read on eARC through Netgalley. I'm so glad this book is slowly starting to make it's way around.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.