Review of End Times

Carbon County, Wyoming is like a current running through Daphne’s heart.

When life gets too tough to bear in Detroit, Daphne flees to her Uncle Floyd’s home, where she believes she’ll find solace in the silent hills of her childhood summers. But Daphne’s Greyhound bus pulls over in downtown Carbon County and it’s not silence that welcomes her. It’s the sound of trumpets.

Daphne’s desire to start again in simple country comfort is instantly dashed as the townsfolk declare that the End Times are here. And incredible occurrences soon support their belief. Daphne does all she can to keep her head down and ignore the signs. She works a job at the local oil rig, helps around the house, hangs out with her pregnant cousin Janie and gets to know Owen, a mysterious motocross racer and fellow roustabout at the rig. But soon a startling discovery shatters her resolve and calls into question all her doubts and fears.
              
Daphne landed in Carbon County for a reason. She only has to read the signs—and believe.


The cover of End Times was so interesting I had to get my hands on the book. I had no real idea what it is about (I don’t always read synopsis) so I was going into it blind. Man, it was definitely not what I thought it would be.

  • For Anna Schumacher’s first book, she did pretty well. I was fairly impressed by her prose and the book’s pacing. I am sure she will have great career since she started so well with End Times.
  • I think the book is a perfect metaphor for faith, prophecy and life. I am a Christian and do believe in the biblical end times, so it was interesting to see this twist on the story. To see how people in the town reacted and those who had faith. Although, I do believe that thoughts and attitudes were emphasized for the story.
  • The setting of a poor, little town in Wyoming was great. I loved the towns people and how quickly the clung to the slightest bit of hope.
  • The interesting “events” happening in the town were intriguing. I could just imagine what it would be like to see hundreds of teal and pink birds fly into Fargo! That would be crazy!

  • WTF – the whole time I was like What? Seriously? How is this going to end? The book was definitely a set up, but I still don’t know exactly what for yet. Some war, but why? Confused.
  • Daphne’s story is so rushed. You start with her in the hospital with her mother, who hates her for stabbing her step-father, and then all the sudden she is in Wyoming with her dad’s family. I wanted more about Daphne’s home life and her father, it was just so rushed.
  • Quite honestly, I am not sure if I was intrigued enough by the storyline to continue with the series. It was an ok read, but I am not dying to know what happens next.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18667788-end-times?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

5 comments

  1. I've seen this book and loved the cover but wasn't sure what it was about. It sounds like a religion based story, which isn't really my cup of tea. Thanks for sharing your review, they're always a pleasure to read Missie =D
    Monique @ Mo_Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad you enjoyed this book much more than me. But yes, this book was a lot of WTF.
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah! This sounds wonderful Missy! :D I'm a Christian as well, so I'm so glad that this had some great messages without being over-peachy. And the setting sounds wonderful! Settings are everything for books like these, so I'm so glad the author nailed the setting in this one! :D

    Hmm...was it WTF in a good way or a bad way? I love books that have mind-boggling twists to them, so this might be for me!

    Even if you found this to be a bit "meh," I'm glad you enjoyed it overall. :D

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I don't know, I'm not really sure if it's for me but you're right the cover is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover looks pretty interesting, but I don't think this would be a good read for me from your review! It's too bad this was a disappointment for you!

    Charlene @ Bookish Whimsy

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.