Review of Deep Blue

The first in a series of four epic tales set in the depths of the ocean, where six mermaids seek to protect and save their hidden world.

Deep in the ocean, in a world not so different from our own, live the merpeople. Their communities are spread throughout the oceans, seas, and freshwaters all over the globe.

When Serafina, a mermaid of the Mediterranean Sea, awakens on the morning of her betrothal, her biggest worry should be winning the love of handsome Prince Mahdi. And yet Sera finds herself haunted by strange dreams that foretell the return of an ancient evil. Her dark premonitions are confirmed when an assassin's arrow poisons Sera's mother. Now, Serafina must embark on a quest to find the assassin's master and prevent a war between the Mer nations. Led only by her shadowy dreams, Sera searches for five other mermaid heroines who are scattered across the six seas. Together, they will form an unbreakable bond of sisterhood and uncover a conspiracy that threatens their world's very existence.
I love mythical creatures, especially mermaids and fairies. I am also so intrigued by Atlantis, so when I saw the amazing cover of Deep Blue, I knew that I needed to read it. It seemed like this book was hit or miss for some people, but I really enjoyed it and am excited to continue with the series.

  • I really liked Serafina. She was your typical princess, afraid of take the role of leader, a bit rebellious and not so sure about being forced to marry for alliances. I can see why this theme goes through royalty, it has to be hard to be forced into a role. But I still liked Serafina and loved her brain. She was smart and really didn’t start to see her strength until he end of the book.
  • I loved how a dream brought the six together, it was neat to see how they all had the same dream and met up with each other. The first time they had to work together was fun and interesting. I am excited to see this relationship grows in the series.
  • I want to know more about Mahdi, we were given barely a look into his life, but I want more. He was really interesting.
  • I really enjoyed Neela. I loved her stress-eating and her personality. I wanted to be friends with her so bad.
  • I know that it is a little cliché and overdone, but I felt like it was a bit like Harry Potter and I miss that series! I was ok with the group of teens saving the world and the parallels with HP. There was a lot in common in this first book, but I am thinking the book will take on more originality as the story progresses in the next three books.
  • There were a lot of names and places that were hard to pronounce and even harder to remember. I was really confused in the first few chapters and almost DNF, but make sure you continue past the beginning part, because it does get better!
  • This book definitely was setting up the story, so we were left with a cliffhanger at the end.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18601430-deep-blue?from_search=true



https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

10 comments

  1. I really enjoyed it too, I mean yeah, it kind of read a little more for a younger audience in some parts, but it had the whole sister sorority things going for it, which was refreshing. It took me the first couple of chapters to really get into it, and it kept jarring me out of it because of those words, and I didn't really want to DNF it since I had a proof copy, but I just kind of glanced over it then and got into it so it didn't bother me too much. And considering it's all underwater and everything, it was pretty fun to see that different kind of world and even though not too much went on (like you said, setting up the story) I didn't feel that bored like I do with other firsts in a series. :)

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting and the cover is gorgeous (that's what caught my eye on bloglovin' this morning...)! I've never read anything mermaid-related. It sounds a little immature - maybe like Percy Jackson, for example. Is this just the blurb or is the entire book a little childish? I'd probably read it.

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, a cliffhanger! Otherwise, it sounds fantastic, especially the characters. I'll have to check it out soon!

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad that you enjoyed this book! I was one of the only black sheep who really liked it, and like you, gave the book a 4 star rating. I don't usually like mermaid reads, but this one was the best ever! And yes, there were too many characters and vocabulary to remember.

    I found that we both had the same thoughts on this book! Awesome review!

    Michelle @ http://www.thatgirlybookworm.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had really bad luck with mermaid books in the past. Really bad luck. But this one intrigued me. And I'm glad you liked it. I'll definitely give it a chance at some point.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool. Sounds like a fun read. I saw it a couple weeks ago, so naturally, I did grab a copy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous cover! I can see why it drew you to this book. I love the idea of mermaids, but haven't read too many featuring them. Thanks for the heads up about sticking with it because of the slow beginning!

    Terri @ Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of a mermaid book, but have thus far to find one that I like. This sounds like a good possibility. Thank you for your review.
    -Flirting with Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure this book is really for me, but man, that cover is SO GORGEOUS!! I'm glad you enjoyed this one! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read a mermaid book, this sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.