Review of The Boyfriend App

In The Boyfriend App by Katie Sise, super-smart, somewhat geeky Audrey McCarthy can’t wait to get out of high school. Her father’s death and the transformation of her one-time BFF, Blake Dawkins, into her worst nightmare have her longing for the new start college will bring.

But college takes money. So Audrey decides she has to win the competition for the best app designed by a high schooler—and the $200,000 that comes with it. She develops something she calls the Boyfriend App, and suddenly she’s the talk of the school and getting kissed by the hottest boys around. But can the Boyfriend App bring Audrey true love?





I have to admit, I am not even sure why I decided to listen to The Boyfriend App; the title and the cover art wasn’t too appealing to me, but I was surprised how much I actually enjoyed the book. I listened to the audiobook, it was read by Arielle DeLisle and was 7 hours, 32 minutes long.

I loved the geeky aspects of the story, the computer programming and nerd speak! I always seem to be drawn to books like that. I am reading Elusion now and I loved Ready Player One!
There was a really deep story and theme within the plot, it was a fun summer read, but I think that it also had a deep message about technology today.
I loved the Trogs – the characters were all so unique and I really felt like I would be part of their nerdy group. I wish that I had more computer programing skills, I was jealous of their group and their amazing teacher.
This would be a great ABC Family movie, it totally had all the right things to make a great movie / book, there was the underdog, the tight group of friends, the secret crush and the mean girls!
  • The app was a little out of control. Once Audrey figured out how to make her app work better, it was like a make-out orgy. I was a little thrown by that whole point of the book. I can totally see that Audrey’s discover was relevant to the theme of the book, but I am not sure if I would have taken it to such an extreme.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16248159-the-boyfriend-app





https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

8 comments

  1. i had my eyes on this book for a while now and was waiting a reaction from a friend. so glad you enjoyed it, i'll give it a try also!
    Boyanna @The Bookmaidens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, sounds kind of fun, and yeah, would definitely be a great family movie. And yeah, these types always have that deeper meaning to them, which is fun to just sit and think about. :)

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like such a cool concept!! I've been wondering about this one for a while after seeing it around the blogosphere so often. Might have to finally pick it up. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to see that you had a nice surprise with it mainly if at first it wasn't that appealing. It's always the best when it's that way, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had this on by tbr for sooooo long. I just can't figure out with all the mixed reviews. Glad you liked the book but whoa that seems a long time! (I have absolutely no experience with audiobooks so forgive me.)(I'm planning to try on, actually, next month.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when you find a book you just know would make a GREAT movie =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure I'll read this one, but it does sound like a cute story. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had my eye on this one for quite sometime. I hope I get to read this one!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.