Review of Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy has been in the YA book sphere for a while, I just have never gotten my hands on a copy. I was interested when I saw that it was coming out as a movie. I decided to rent it the other night, perfect for a dark, stormy evening.

  • I really enjoy the actors the cast for Rose (Zoey Deutch), Lissa (Lucy Fry) and Dimitri (Danila Kozlovsky). They all acted really well and I enjoyed their on screen performance. Not having read the book, I had no per-conceived idea of who or what they should be look like.
  • The movie did a fairly good job of quickly describing the three types of “vampires” in the book. Sometimes with detailed world-building, it is hard to portray in a movie.
  • I loved Rose’s character, she was snarky and witty.
  • Dimitri, oh boy! He was some fun eye candy!
  • I always love boarding school situations – so it was a fun setting for me.
  • The movie was a little meh sometimes, I am not sure if it was because they had to rush all the content from the book or if it just wasn’t as action-packed as I assumed it would be.
  • I normally love Sarah Hyland, but I thought she did an awesome job in this movie. She just seemed to be over-acting half the time. She does great work on Modern Family, so I think Natalie was just not the right character for her.
All in all, it was ok. I tweeted last night about whether or not I should read the books. Sam told me that she started after the movie and enjoyed them, what do you think?

https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

7 comments

  1. You have to read the book, Missie! VA remains to be one of my all-time favorites. :) That being said, I really didn't like the movie considering all the changes and weird things about it. But I did love Lissa & Rose's chemistry on screen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the movie before reading the books too. I thought the movie was hilarious in a slightly terrible sort of way. I then picked up the first book and fell in love pretty quickly (especially when it came to book 2). YOu should definitely give the books a try. It's not your average vamp lit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, you have totally convinced me! I am going to start it tonight!
      Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

      Delete
  3. I've read the books, but I haven't watched the movie yet. Planning on RedBoxing it tomorrow night, actually! I'd say give the books a chance for sure. I totally fell in love with the beginning of the series. Towards the end, Richelle lost me but still. The beginning was awesome, and I loved Rose back then. It's definitely a step above most teenage vampire books!

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete
  4. The movie doesn't do the books justice. In comparison to them it really does suck. In your place, I would most definitely read the books! They were amazing. I read all six of them in less than a week. I can't begin describing all the feels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen the movie yet because I'm always behind on movies but the books were so good! I was barely able to put them down at all the entire time I was reading the full series so I'd say they are definitely worth a shot.

    *I just noticed you wrote that you will be or already started to read them, hopefully you enjoy the entire series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely get your hands on the book! I've only read the first two, but I really liked them. I haven't seen the movie yet. Seems to have mixed reactions.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.