Review of The Taking

A flash of white light . . . and then . . . nothing.

When sixteen-year-old Kyra Agnew wakes up behind a Dumpster at the Gas ’n’ Sip, she has no memory of how she got there. With a terrible headache and a major case of déjà vu, she heads home only to discover that five years have passed . . . yet she hasn’t aged a day.

Everything else about Kyra’s old life is different. Her parents are divorced, her boyfriend, Austin, is in college and dating her best friend, and her dad has changed from an uptight neat-freak to a drunken conspiracy theorist who blames her five-year disappearance on little green men.

Confused and lost, Kyra isn’t sure how to move forward unless she uncovers the truth. With Austin gone, she turns to Tyler, Austin’s annoying kid brother, who is now seventeen and who she has a sudden undeniable attraction to. As Tyler and Kyra retrace her steps from the fateful night of her disappearance, they discover strange phenomena that no one can explain, and they begin to wonder if Kyra’s father is not as crazy as he seems. There are others like her who have been taken . . . and returned. Kyra races to find an explanation and reclaim the life she once had, but what if the life she wants back is not her own?
The Taking was a little out of my normal genres, but I thought it sounded awesome. It was a little X-Files and I normally haven’t enjoyed the whole alien thing, but I really enjoyed this book.

  • The story was really intriguing. I read the whole book while my husband and I were fishing on the boat. I could hardly put it down to catch a fish (I am sure I lost quite a few).
  • Kyra was interesting. I felt like she was a realistic character and dealt with the whole situation in a fairly calm way. I was glad that she was not over dramatic.
  • I really liked Kyra’s dad, he became obsessed and I could totally understand how he could feel like it was his fault and try to do anything he could to get her back.
  • The pacing of the book was well done. I was never bored and I always like that.
  • Tyler was an interesting side character, I loved the art that he put on the sidewalk. Although it seemed a bit insta-love, you do have to remember that Tyler knew her his whole life and was jealous of his brother.
  • Tyler was just so over-eager I thought. I felt like he was pushing her and accepted so easily. I would have liked for him to slow it down a bit.
  • The book left so many questions that it requires you to continue with the series. I really prefer when each book in a series still has it’s own plot and is complete, which is tough to do. I just don’t want a series to be a marketing tool to sell more books.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17838475-the-taking


 

https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

7 comments

  1. Yeah, I didn't like the romance at all. Thought it was creepy. I was really just disappointed with this overall, expected so much more from it and just....yeah. :(

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had an ARC of this book and I still haven't read it. Goes to show how behind I am on reviews. I'm glad the book went over well. I do worry that the ending will leave me hanging after reading your review. Thanks for the honest review!
    Jazmen@ThisGirlReadsAlot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aliens are my insta-buy/read word. Lol. I've had this one on my TBR forever but I've taken to marathoning series for many a reasons. Anyhow, I'm glad you really enjoyed it. Especially being outside your normal book. Maybe you'll pick up a few more sci-fi/alien books now. :D
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has a very interesting premise. I think I will wait until at least one more book is out before starting though. I have Derting's whole Pledge series waiting for me to read first now that all of those books are out -- should keep me busy while I wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this book around, but your review is the first one I'm reading. I really enjoyed Kimberly Derting's other series, and was hoping to pick this one up soon. I don't know how I feel about the whole Tyler pushing her, and the insta-love, but I'm still interested. Thanks for the honest review!

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was wondering about this book. the synopsis seams interesting enough and i was feeling like aliens lately :) i can't wait to read it! and i don't mind when not all the question are answered in the first book i guess i enjoy the waiting game!
    Boyanna @The Bookmaidens

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's the first good review about this one and after all the others I read I think I'll pass but I'm glad it was good for you.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.