Review of Game of Thrones

Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.

As Warden of the north, Lord Eddard Stark counts it a curse when King Robert bestows on him the office of the Hand. His honour weighs him down at court where a true man does what he will, not what he must … and a dead enemy is a thing of beauty.

The old gods have no power in the south, Stark’s family is split and there is treachery at court. Worse, the vengeance-mad heir of the deposed Dragon King has grown to maturity in exile in the Free Cities. He claims the Iron Throne.





Game of Thrones was one of those daunting books that I just thought I would be so confused and never be able to get through. My husband has read the series (at least the books that are out) a few times. I really enjoy the show, but Paul said that the HBO story line is going away from the books, so I thought it was finally time to try and take the dive.

  • The world-building was immaculate. Martin created this whole universe, multiple family story lines and numerous characters. I really want to read an interview of how he created the whole world, because it is so immense. Amazing!
  • The writing was well done. I was really worried that it would be dull, over the top and over descriptive. I felt that it flowed well and was done in just the right way to make the book appeal to quite a few demographics.
  • I love Jon Snow, probably even more after the HBO show, but he is definitely a book boyfriend!
  • Khaleesi is my favorite character in the HBO show, so I loved getting more of her back story in the books. I love how she grows into a strong leading woman and cannot wait until I learn more in the rest of the series. 
  • There are so many characters, that I was overwhelmed sometimes with who is who. After watching the show for four seasons, it was a lot easier to pick up the book because I knew the main characters, name and family histories.
  • Sometimes there was extra descriptive detail in the most random places, it felt like unnecessary fluff.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13496.A_Game_of_Thrones?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

9 comments

  1. I definitely agree with you about the characters. I mean now it is something that I love about the series, but at first I was hopelessly confused. I've watched the show now so it is much easier having faces to the countless names. I'm almost finished reading this one now. Hoping to have them all read before the next season starts! (And really hopefully in time to write my Senior Thesis on Sansa stark!)

    Khaleesi is amazing! Huge crush on her. Huge. Her and Tyrion are by far my favorites.

    --Katie at The Pop Cultist

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this right now and loving it, I'm glad you enjoyed it too! I also am a huge Daenerys/Khaleesi fan! I love Tyrion too :) Great review Missie!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this series yet. Haven't seen the show either. Great review. I will have to check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to experience the world of this book but I tried reading a bit and ended up being confused! So many characters, haha. I'll probably watch the show first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I think I'm one of the onlu person you haven't read the book or seen an episode in the series, I should, everyone keeps tell me to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading this book right now and I love it! My favorite character is probably Cersei Lannister, but I know a lot of people hate her, hehe. The writing is amazing. I love how if you find one POV character boring, you can basically just skip their chapters and move on to the next one and not get lost. There's so many plotlines.

    By the way - it's spelled khaleesi. Sorry, I'm just a grammar freak.

    Ivana @ BookishTeens

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep saying I'm going to read this book but it looks a bit overwhelming. Great review btw!
    Jazmen@ThisGirlReadsAlotBlog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was also feeling intimidated by this series, but want to start it now that I'm familiar with the characters and basic storyline from the show -- I want to try and get ahead now that HBO is starting to change things. I figure I have almost a year to catch up before the new season airs & summer seems like the perfect time to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on finally diving in! I've yet to read or watch it. But this summer I plan to marathon the seasons and than dive into the first book in the fall. Are you going to continue on this summer? Or you need a bit of break? Lol.
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.