Review of The Fever

The panic unleashed by a mysterious contagion threatens the bonds of family and community in a seemingly idyllic suburban community.

The Nash family is close-knit. Tom is a popular teacher, father of two teens: Eli, a hockey star and girl magnet, and his sister Deenie, a diligent student. Their seeming stability, however, is thrown into chaos when Deenie's best friend is struck by a terrifying, unexplained seizure in class. Rumors of a hazardous outbreak spread through the family, school and community.

As hysteria and contagion swell, a series of tightly held secrets emerges, threatening to unravel friendships, families and the town's fragile idea of security.

A chilling story about guilt, family secrets and the lethal power of desire, The Fever affirms Megan Abbot's reputation as "one of the most exciting and original voices of her generation" (Laura Lippman).


This cover and synopsis blew my mind. I had to have it and was so lucky to get an ARC. Megan Abbott really has an unique perspective on writing.


  •  The storyline pulls you in. I had to keep reading and really had to know what was going on. I barely could go back to work after lunch because I wanted to read more.
  • The girls were interesting and I liked having Tom and Eli's POV in the mix.
  • I loved how the general public reacted when the first girl got "sick." They started blaming anything and everything. I felt like it was a realistic stand on how we react to the unknown.
  • I also believe that the general idea of what happened to all the girls was true to form and represents how teenage culture sometimes acts.


  • There was so much hype in trying to figure out what is wrong with the girls, that when it is finally revealed, I was almost let down. Maybe I just built it up in my head so much that I was disappointed to know what was actually happened.
  • The writing felt spacey to me, almost like a conversation more than prose. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18656036-the-fever




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

10 comments

  1. Ohh, I was looking forward to this one, but this is two I've read that was disappointed with the mystery reveal. :( At least it's addicting though, right? :)


    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd loved the way this book sounds I'm sorry that it wasn't amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so disappointed by the way this ended. I was super into it until the "reveal" and then was such a...non thing that it changed the way I felt about the entire book. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt let down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and now i want to know what was wrong with all the girls my self....
    Boyanna @The Bookmaidens

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear this sounds EXACTLY like a film I've seen, but I can't remember what it was called. Oh, man, that's going to annoy me all day now *frowns*

    I hate conversational prose. I kind of feel like it's a bit too immature, you know? And sometimes it can come across as a lazy way of writing (I'm so harsh, I know haha)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I am almost intrigued enough to pick it up, but... I don't want to be let down lol. Can you just add a spoiler for me? (Can we say lazy today?) Hopefully your next book will blow your mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly that cover just freaks me out!! It sounds like an ok read but I think I will give this one a skip. Great review though :) thanks for sharing!

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover alone would make me want to check this out but its the blurb that seals the deal!! Im glad you liked it and will be adding this to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review! I've been dying to read this (and I'm so jealous you got an ARC!) so I was super excited to see this in my bloglovin' feed! It sounds like it kept you on your toes, at least, even if the big reveal wasn't as great as you'd hoped!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard so much about this book, and I definitely want to read it! Glad I saw a review here for it. I've always been interested in the Salem Witch Trials, so I have high hopes!

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.