Review of The Break-up Artist

Some sixteen-year-olds babysit for extra cash.

Some work at the mall.

Becca Williamson breaks up couples.


Becca knows from experience the damage that love can do. After all, it was so-called love that turned Huxley from her childhood best friend into a social-world dictator, and love that left Becca's older sister devastated at the altar. Instead of sitting on the sidelines, Becca strikes back—for just one hundred dollars via PayPal, she will trick and manipulate any couple's relationship into smithereens. And with relationship zombies overrunning her school and treating single girls as if they're second-class citizens, business is unfortunately booming. Even Becca's best friend, Val, has resorted to outright lies to snag a boyfriend.

One night, Becca receives a mysterious offer to break up the most popular couple in school: Huxley and raw football team's star player, Steve. To succeed, she'll have to plan her most elaborate scheme to date—starting rumors, sabotaging cell phones, breaking into cars...not to mention sneaking back into Huxley's good graces. All while fending off the inappropriate feelings she may or may not be having for Val's new boyfriend.

No one said being the Break-Up Artist would be easy.
This cover and the synopsis had me, so I had to get my hands on this ARC. I am glad I did, it was the perfect read for a long, rainy drive home from my husband's parent's house.

  • I have read a few reviews of The Break-up Artist and was lucky enough to get an ARC, so I thought it would be a good time to give it a shot. I am really trying to focus on reading ARCs this month because my TBR ARC stacks seems to be out of control!
  • Likes:
  • The story was believable, I like when the plot is realistic. I know how much it sucks to be the single one and how frustrating it is when your friends ignore you to spend time with their boyfriends. So I could totally see someone wanting to break people up and going so far as hiring someone to do the dirty work.
  • Becca was real, I could see quite a few teenage girls in her. She was against love until she got a puppy crush, she needed to see the world from different POVs before she figured it out and made mistakes.
  • The pacing was well-done, it was a quick read. I read it in one day, and it was a fun read.

  • I probably would have given it a 5 star rating but then there was a line in the book that went something like “I have more goose bumps than a RL Stine book.” Barf. Maybe it is an age thing or something but seemed so lame to me.


https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

7 comments

  1. I've seen quite a few negative reviews of this one lately so I'm happy to see you really enjoyed it! :) Becca sounds like a refreshing protagonist with her views against love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't my usual genre, but I've been looking forward to reading this one, great review :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good story. I'm like you; I like it when the story is believable and the characters seem real. I'll have to add this book to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right I also love when a plot is realistic, it's easier to relate to the characters. I heard great things about this one so I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this one before, and the cover isn't very appealing. But the synopsis sounds interesting. I know people actually did this in my high school, and it was a real thing. I would love to give this one a try, but you're right that quote is...awkward..

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really have been wanting to read this so I'm glad you also gave it a great review. I hope I get to get a copy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cover art is... just awesome! The story sounds interesting too - kind of different than the average. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.