Book Tour with Dark Metropolis



Cabaret meets Cassandra Clare-a haunting magical thriller set in a riveting 1930s-esque world.

Sixteen-year-old Thea Holder's mother is cursed with a spell that's driving her mad, and whenever they touch, Thea is chilled by the magic, too. With no one else to contribute, Thea must make a living for both of them in a sinister city, where danger lurks and greed rules.
Thea spends her nights waitressing at the decadent Telephone Club attending to the glitzy clientele. But when her best friend, Nan, vanishes, Thea is compelled to find her. She meets Freddy, a young, magnetic patron at the club, and he agrees to help her uncover the city's secrets-even while he hides secrets of his own.

Together, they find a whole new side of the city. Unrest is brewing behind closed doors as whispers of a gruesome magic spread. And if they're not careful, the heartless masterminds behind the growing disappearances will be after them, too.

Perfect for fans of Cassandra Clare, this is a chilling thriller with a touch of magic where the dead don't always seem to stay that way.
I love historical fiction, especially in the 1920s era. Flapper dresses, prohibition and the Great Depression is so interesting. I love mobsters and Public Enemy #1! So months ago when I heard about Dark Metropolis, I knew I had to get my hands on it. I was hooked with the summary Cabaret meets Cassandra Clare!


  • The world-building was unique and interesting. I had to keep reading to try to figure out what was going on. It was a new take on “zombies” or the living dead. It was really refreshing to have a new idea in a world that is so infused with the undead.
  • I really liked Thea and enjoyed her character. She was dedicated to helping her family but so badly wanted to just be a normal teenage girl too.
  • The bonding magic between spouses was so cool. I love the thought of knowing where Paul was and that he was safe. It would be so hard to have a spouse in the military and worry about their safety during war.
  • I am excited to see where this series goes, Nan’s whole story was not fully spelled out, so I think that her storyline could really continue in the next book.


  • The book did have a plot, but I still was left a little unfulfilled by the end of the story. I wanted more closure and to get the closure, I will have to get the next book to find that closure. That is sometimes frustrating because you really want a complete book, even if it is part of a series. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12483970-dark-metropolis






ABOUT THE AUTHOR


Jaclyn Dolamore was homeschooled in a hippie sort of way and spent her childhood reading as many books as her skinny nerd-body could lug from the library and playing elaborate pretend games with her sister Kate. She skipped college and spent eight years drudging through retail jobs, developing her thrifty cooking skills and pursuing a lifelong writing dream. She has a passion for history, thrift stores, vintage dresses, David Bowie, drawing, and organic food. She lives with her partner and plot-sounding-board, Dade, and two black tabbies who have ruined her carpeting.
www.jaclyndolamore.com | TWITTER | FACEBOOK



a Rafflecopter giveaway


https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

5 comments

  1. Glad to hear it's a new take on the living dead (not that I've read many anyway) but I want to read this because of the era. Get what you mean though, even if a books a part of a series, it should close and be able to stand on its own.

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always intrigued by a good zombies book! And I just love the period chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really read much historical fiction - not as a rule or anything, I just don't seem to pick any up for some reason! Love that this has zombies though. Zombies are totally my thing!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.