Review of The Treatment

Can Sloane and James survive the lies and secrets surrounding them, or will The Program claim them in the end? Find out in this sequel to The Program, which Publishers Weekly called “chilling and suspenseful.”

How do you stop an epidemic?

Sloane and James are on the run after barely surviving the suicide epidemic and The Program. But they’re not out of danger. Huge pieces of their memories are still missing, and although Sloane and James have found their way back to each other, The Program isn’t ready to let them go.

Escaping with a group of troubled rebels, Sloane and James will have to figure out who they can trust, and how to take down The Program. But for as far as they’ve come, there’s still a lot Sloane and James can’t remember. The key to unlocking their past lies with the Treatment—a pill that can bring back forgotten memories, but at a high cost. And there’s only one dose.

Ultimately when the stakes are at their highest, can Sloane and James survive the many lies and secrets surrounding them, or will The Program claim them in the end?
I am not sure why I picked up The Treatment, but The Program really didn’t entice me, but I was glad that I enjoyed The Treatment a lot more than I thought I would. It was kinda fun reading a duo series where most are at least three or more books.

  • Sloane and James were nowhere near as annoying as they were in the first book. They seemed so corny in The Program, but I felt like their relationship was a lot more realistic in The Treatment.
  • I always have liked the “on the run” feel in dystopian literature. I love the way it moves along and the fear it creates. The thought of barely being able to sleep for the fear of being found gives a little thrill.
  • Dallas and Cas were interesting new additions to the story. I loved the way Dallas entwined with Sloane and Micheal’s storyline.
  • I feel like the writing “matured” in this book, that the experience of writing The Program really helped Suzanne Young drive into The Treatment head-first and create a more in-depth story with better prose.
  • The “love triangle” situation that bothered me a lot more in The Program really wrapped up well in The Treatment.
  • As much as the writing in The Treatment grew on me, it still felt a little lacking in the emotional connection. I wanted more and I felt the writing held the story just on the surface.
  • I was really surprised by the lack of parental communication in the book. I do not think that realistically Sloane’s parents would sit back and do nothing as their daughter was on the run. I know I look to far into things, but sometimes I feel like family plays such a minor role in young adult novels and I think it is an area that really needs more growth.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17948607-the-treatment?from_search=true

https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

8 comments

  1. It's nice to see that this one is better than the first one. I heard a lot about this author but I haven't tried her yet. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right about the lack of parental/family involvement in YA -- I think a lot of times it's just convenient for the story that the parents are absent or just not paying attention, but totally agree it's not realistic in all cases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fall in love with your review writing more and more!
    I hate it when there's a lack of parent communication in books. It makes the book seem so unrealistic at times. I'm glad that the character's relationships didn't annoy you like last time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice when a sequel is better than the first book. I hope to read this series, so it's kind of nice to know it's only two books and not a huge commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the "on the run"/witness protection type books too, they're always so much fun, but I couldn't finish The Program, but glad to hear they were less annoying (that and the fact it was kind of depressing in the beginning is why I couldn't finish it.) this time around and that you enjoyed it a lot better than the first! :)

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the cover of this edition more than the one I've seen floating around the blogosphere. Glad this one exceeded your expectations. I know about the parents, though. It happens so often and obviously- and I hate it. If you don't want them in the way, goddamn kill them or something(just don't be so callous like me :P).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean re. parents in YA, they often feel absent or ignorant of what their children are up to!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished reading this (read it all in a day!) and agree so much with everything you've said. It was nice to see the triangle situation wrapped up (though Sloane really annoyed me in some parts with her interactions with Realm) and I also felt the writing matured! Things moved a lot quicker in The Treatment and I liked that, because I felt like The Program was a little slow at times.

    :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.