Review of Sweet Evil

Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?
Sweet Evil was one of those “cover” picks. I didn’t really know much about it, but needed an audiobook for my drive to quilt retreat. I was pleasantly surprised that I actually enjoyed it. The audiobook was 11 hours, 44 minutes long and read by Erin Mallon.

  • The whole good vs. evil, demons vs. angels always intrigues me.
  • I am a Christian and believe in God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit. I still really enjoyed this book and didn’t feel like it was trying to challenge my faith or lead me in one direction or the other.
  • That forbidden love thing gets me, love between enemy lines, or in this case spiritual lines, was interesting.
  • I love road trips!
  • The demons, Kaidan and his friends were really unique. It made you think about social pressures, temptations and hearing those voices in your head whispering for you to do good or bad things. It was easy to visualize.
  • I liked Anna, I could see a lot of myself in her. She was a character I would be friends with.
  • The book had really interesting views on the Holy Spirit and per-destination.

  • There was some first book syndrome – I definitely did not feel closure with this part of the story. The library doesn’t have any more of the series as audio, so I think I will have to get the written books.
 Have you read the series? Should I continue? How did you feel about the spiritual aspects of this book?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11808950-sweet-evil



https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

8 comments

  1. I 'almost ordered' this book a lot of times. Some how I still never did. Reading your review it sounds like I really should give it a try. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about trying this one, but feel I'm suffering from a bit of series burnout (and I have have a pile of half-started or not-started series books already on my shelves....) would love to hear how you like the rest of the books if you get to them -- might help me decide if it's worth it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...I'm not really sure what to think of this. It sounds interesting, but if you were left with an overall sense of "meh," I'm not sure what to think! Anna sounds like a great, relatable protagonist, which is wonderful! It's always great to be able to connect to a MC that way. :) Forbidden love and road trips aren't typically my cup of tea though...

    Thanks for sharing Missie, and, as always BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never really thought this book was for me, but it's always good when a book surprises you by being better than expected!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes it often happens like that with first book but like you I love stories about demons and angels. I hope the next one will be better. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the reasons I liked this book was because the author was able to maintain a "christian" worldview in the novel while not losing any of the good parts. I definitely think you should continue. Is it the best book in the entire world? No, but it is good and book three happens to be the best one in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm, I'm also not sure about how I feel about this. I think I would still try it, but only borrow it from the library or something. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the review Missie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it sounds fun but im a little fed up of demon angel stories. Nice review thought!
    Boyanna @The Bookmaidens

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.