Review of A Special Love

When Robert Adler and Meredith Conrad fall in love, all that is left for them to do is prepare to live a fairy-tale life. With the blessing of their second child, a son named Michael, everything they have always dreamed of begins to become a reality. But his autism diagnosis is something they never anticipated. The struggle they face after the diagnosis puts a strain on their family that begins to tear them apart. Years later, Michael begins high school, and the true love his older sister Ann Marie finds there helps bring her insight and appreciation of Michael’s unique gifts and identity. It might be just what is needed to put their family back together.








A Special Love was offered to me by the author to review and I am so glad I said yes. I am a little sad I took so long to read it. It was one of those memorable books that “sticks to your insides” and stays with you.
  • Autism is one of the most misunderstood conditions with children. The spectrum is so large that it is hard to diagnosis and has such an awful stigma with this. I love the message in A Special Love and how Krissy really gave you an inside view of the family dynamics.
  • The story was intriguing and well-paced. The beginning from the parents perspective almost sounded like a documentary / biography but once you got into Ann Marie’s POV, it was much more like a YA novel.
  • Ann Marie was amazing, she was strong, smart, but yet weak and fragile at the same time. I really feel like this is a great description of all my favorite “heroines.” They are not perfect and that makes them human.
  • Michael was so much fun, his love of water was so interesting. I really enjoyed all the things we learned in the book without even trying!
  • Not trying to give anything way, but there is definitely a boy crush in this book! So many feels, he is amazing!
  • The book did lack that big story, climax, plot situation. It definitely could have been flushed out and more background, family-building given. It was short and sweet, but I definitely wanted more.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21404928-a-special-love?from_search=true





https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

4 comments

  1. oh it sounds like a really interesting book, I've never read something about Autism I confess but it's intriguing and not something we can have everyday. Thanks for the discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like quite an amazing and emotional read, and a topic that I'm sure lots of families could relate to

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  3. never seen this one before! but wow does it sound deep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure this book would be for me.. but ohh. THe cover is gorgeous :D I'm glad you mostly enjoyed this book. <3 Amazing review sweetie :)
    Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.