Review of Ready Player One

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune--and remarkable power--to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved--that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt--among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life--and love--in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

A world at stake.
A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?
“These three words were always the last thing an OASIS user saw before leaving the real world and entering the virtual one: READY PLAYER ONE”
Ready Player One has become my favorite book that I read this year, well actually right now, I would say it is my favorite book overall! I ate this book for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I could not get enough of the story. It was so much fun and perfect for the uber nerd I am! The best surprise was that the audiobook was read by Wil Wheaton! The actual Wil Wheaton folks! I almost peed my pants when I heard his voice! The audiobook was 15 hours, 43 minutes long.

  •  This book is a pop culture phenomenon. It listed so many of my favorites and cult classics. I started to write down a few as I listened, but there were a million more. Tons of 80s movies, TV shows and music, including some of my favorites like War Games, Real Genius, Weird Science and Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Plus huge gaming influenced like Pacman, Atari, World of Warcraft and Everquest. Total nerddom with Dungeons and Dragons and Lord of the Rings! So many amazing movie quotes and references! I just could not get enough, I was in love with this book!
  • I am a huge fan of dystopian literature and I didn’t realize that this book fit that category when I picked it up. I was so excited that it combined so many of my favorite things into one book. The world-building both in the real world and in the Oasis was so brilliant. I really want to meet Earnest Cline in real life!
  • The Oasis was so fantastic. I could visualize exactly what it would be like to be in the Oasis. I loved the amazing worlds and quests that Cline put into the story. I occasionally play World Of Warcraft and love questing. I have always thought it would be so cool to make a World of Warcraft Adventure Park, where you could really be in the world. With the virtual reality created in the Oasis, it would be exactly like that.
  • The characters were so awesome. I loved Wade, he reminded me so much of some of my husband’s big gamer friends. He was funny, witty and super smart. I loved home much effort he put into the Easter Egg hunt. On top of really loving Wade, I could not get enough of the other top 5 Gunters – Aech, Art3mis, Daito and Shoto. They were all so well-developed and had great back stories! There was so much packed into this story that I was never bored!
  • The villain (or should I say villains) Nick Sorrento and the other Sixers were awful, you really hated them. I could not wait for Wade to get back at them for their awfulness!
  • James Halliday, the game maker, was such an amazing man. I really enjoyed how his life story wove through the whole book. He really evolved all the way to the final page.
  • This book is action, adventure and a little romance. SO awesome. Please drop everything and read it NOW!
  • I didn’t want the story to end! I want more, NOW!

 “Some time later, she leaned over and kissed me. It felt just like all those songs and poems had promised it would. It felt wonderful. Like being struck by lightning.”

"Dude, you have balls of solid adamantium," Aech said. "Respect."

They are currently working on making this one into a movie. It is going to be a serious endeavor to get this one into a movie, but I highly expect that it is going to be amazing!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9969571-ready-player-one




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

11 comments

  1. Oh wow I had NO IDEA that this book is hugely based off of gaming! I know I'm not exactly a nerd when it comes down to classic gaming, I mean I've played WoW once. But I really can't resist reading this now that I know it's basically almost a real life video game in a book. The only thing putting me off, I think, was the cover. BUT I HAVE THE BOOK WITH ME SO I'LL START SOON! Maybe.

    Anyways, nice review Missie! You definitely have me convinced!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, haven't heard much about this one (I have seen it around, but not a lot) sounds kind of like a mix of Elusion and The Matrix. Sounds like it has some great characters too, I'm not a huge gamer, but it's always fun to read ones that are like that anyway. I'll have to try it soon. :) And ohhh, it's going to be a movie, too? YES.

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  3. A movie? Wow this seems like it would make an awesome movie, but be really hard to adapt to the screen. I've heard such good things about it, but am a bit dumb when it comes to pop culture -- I bought it for my husband who loves all that kind of stuff (and also the gaming part of it) -- I'll have him read it first and see if he thinks it will all be over my head or not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of this one before. It doesn't really sound like my style but I'm glad you enjoyed it so much =) It sounds a little like Tron to me, maybe? I'm sure I'll end up watching the movie when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is on my 'to read' list for next week-glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been on my to read list for a while so I'm glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never even heard of this! I'm so glad you had such an amazing reading experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree; this book is amazing!!! Easily my favorite stand-alone book EVER. And I am not even a big gaming fan. Especially during this era (was busy being born and all). But I am a huge fan of the 80s, and you're right the pop culture references were perfect. Cline is a master storyteller and I've been crossing my fingers for a sequel :) Or even a prequel because Halliday's so awesome.

    If you even remotely like audiobooks, Wil Wheaton does an amazing adaptation. He's simply perfect. I've listened to it all the way through at least 10 times, and just seeing your review makes me want to dive in again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's on my list, I just haven't gotten to reading it yet. Awesome review though, it makes me think I should bump it up. One thing though, when there are too many pop culture references in a book I get put off sometimes because it feels like trying to hard. But, I guess since this is all about pop culture than it is different and probably not off-putting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow heh as a gamer myself I think I would enjoy this one, really need to read it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.