Review of Percy Jackson - The Lightning Thief Book

Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.




My husband’s younger cousin loves books, especially the Percy Jackson series. I would I would listen to the first book to see what all the hype was about. I realized that it was a more juvenile book than I normally read, but I thought it would be fun to be able to talk to her about it. I listened to the audiobook, which was read by Jesse Bernstein and was 10 hours, 4 minutes long.

  • The story flowed pretty well, there was some world-building, action and adventure.
  • Greek mythology is such an interesting subject, so it was fun to see how the characters were created within the Percy Jackson world.
  • Percy was well done, I thought he sounded like the typical 12 year old boy.
  • I liked the side characters, the teachers at the school, Percy’s mother and Gabe. I thought they were well-written and added depth to the story.
  • I might not have been in the best mood for this book, or it was maybe was a lower reading level than I normally read, but I was kinda bored sometimes. I was missing some of the depth and world-building I have come to expect from stories like this.
  • I really thought it was odd that the main characters were illegitimate children of the gods, who apparently go around and impregnate every human they can get their hands on. Just off to me.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28187.The_Lightning_Thief?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

9 comments

  1. See, I've always wanted to read them because Greek Mythology is my thing and I kept hearing so much about them but the fact that it's MG put me off. Maybe it would be better for me to listen to it? Though, I read a MG not so long ago called The Eighth Day, which I kind of loved, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad. But totally get the depth part, that's what was missing in that one too, to make it perfect. I mean, it was fun, but it's just missing that extra thing. I enjoy them more when you know it's MG though, than reading a YA that's more MG, kind of annoys me, haha. Shame you didn't like it as much, though I do think they get better, so maybe it's just first book problems?

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an awesome series. I agree with the illegitimate children thing, it is weird but this book is targeted to a younger audience right? They most likely aren't going to pick up on that. It;s just cool to them that these characters are half gods. Plus they aren't perfect, as you will see more when you read more of the books. That's my favourite part I think. The gods are actually really terrible people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know in Greek Mythology Zeus had hundreds of kids and so does the other Gods. The only person who was loyal to one partner was Hera. I started reading this series when I was around 15 maybe. I guess I was around that age where the cheesy jokes were still funny when I first read them. I know when I tried rereading it later on it wasn't as great. I knew the story but I think in my case and in your case it was a little bit too juvenile to enjoy fully. It is really a great series to keep going with though. I love the continuation of this series too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PEEEERCY! <3 Amazing review sweetie. But I'm sorry you didn't like this book that much :( Sniffs. I love this series so much, hih :) But I'm glad you liked it a little bit at least. <3 Thank you for sharing :)
    Thank you so much for commenting on my blog a while ago. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for picking up PJ. I'm actually just going through the audio books myself. Although I've read the books a few times. I am really enjoying listening to them this time though.
    I hope you continue with the rest of the books. It's a fantastic series. :)
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually thinking the same thing. I'm not sure I would like it because it's MG. I just have a bunch of other books on my TBR that are more appealing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel very similar to you! It was entertaining, but because Percy felt like a real 12 year old boy which is a great achievement for an author I struggled to connect to any of the characters. I would recommend it to any young readers and would be curious to see how the series goes as I assume he ages ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never felt the need to read these books and I think you've just confirmed why, I feel like they'd be a touch too young and not quite what I want to read. I saw one of the films with a friend and even that felt a bit young. It is nice that you want to connect with your husband's cousin, so cool of you!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't read a lot of books like that I confess but it's always a pleasure to watch them as a movie (faster too lol). I saw the first one and it was nice. But not sure I'll read it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.