Review of Dorothy Must Die

I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.
But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado—taking you with it—you have no choice but to go along, you know?

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little blue birds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still the yellow brick road, though—but even that's crumbling.

What happened?
Dorothy. They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.

My name is Amy Gumm—and I'm the other girl from Kansas.
I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.
I've been trained to fight.
And I have a mission:
Remove the Tin Woodman's heart.
Steal the Scarecrow's brain.
Take the Lion's courage.
Then and only then—Dorothy must die!
Dorothy Must Die was on my radar the first time I saw it as another blogger’s Waiting on Wednesday. I seriously was pinning over this book for MONTHS! I was so glad that it did not disappoint. I love re-tellings so much and hold them to high standards!

  • Amy, loved her from the beginning. Life was pretty rough, mom addicted to drugs, living in a trailer park, teased for the clothes she wore, not very much fun. She was sure she was more than her location and stuff, even though that was hard to believe sometimes.
  • The world-building of the new Oz was fun. I read the prequel, No Place Like Oz, so I had short-of an idea of what was going on, but it was interesting to see how much Oz had changed under Dorothy’s rule. This was very much like the Wonderland created in Splintered. It was dark, dreary and creepy! I so want this book to be made into a movie.
  • The Order was one of my favorite parts of the story, Amy learning magic and how to fight, but definitely not in the most pleasant way. The witches were riding that fine line between favor and torture to guide Amy to their plan.
  • Dorothy sucked so much, it was very easy to hate her and make her the villain in the story. Although, you did kind of have some sympathy toward her from the prequel, it definitely went away quickly.
  • Ollie, Pete, Jellie, Nox, the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion were all really neat side characters and were well done. They drew you into the story and keep it moving at a quick pace.

  • No major gripes, but nothing to rock my socks off and make this the best book I have ever read. It was good, and I totally think you should read it, but I don’t see it as a book I will be shoving into the hands of everyone I met. Hard to explain, but I just didn’t attach strong emotions to the book.



“You’re getting the hand of it.” Glamora’s voice was glittering mischievously. “Down is up, up is down. Good is wicked, wicked is good. The times are changing. This is what Oz has come to.”

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18053060-dorothy-must-die?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

15 comments

  1. Hoping to get to this one next week- I've read really mixed reviews about it, so now I'm really curious about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skimmed your review since I plan to read this one soon, but SO glad to see a more positive review. I'm hoping I end up in the liking it camp! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dying to get my hands on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this a few weeks ago but I haven't read it yet. I'm glad there were no major upsets. I'll get to it sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed this one. There's nothing like pinning over a book for months and then thoroughly enjoying it =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I'm excited to read this one I got a copy not too long ago and have been eyeing it ever since. It sounds like a pretty good read and even if it didn't blow your mind that it was one worth reading. The characters sound especially well written!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, glad to see you enjoyed it - I just got a copy and I'm excited to read it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, this is somewhere on my list, but not really high. I've definitely seen mixed reviews on this, but I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YEAH! So glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did Missy! I completely agree with you though...it was great, but it didn't really have that extra "WOW!" factor. Still, an enjoyable read nonetheless. Thanks so much for sharing, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3
    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read a retelling for this story but I confess that all the wonderful reviews about the book make me really curious and yours add one more to that lol. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn't the biggest fan of this book but I too liked Amy in the beginning. And you're right, nothing to knock your socks off, this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES I literally just reviewed this book as well actually, and I really enjoyed it! Great review Missie.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just could not get into this one. Like you, I had no MAJOR gripes, but I just was... bored. :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you really liked it. I absolutely loved it. Can't for the next one now!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your review goes along with what a lot of others have said that I've seen. I love the Wizard of Oz, and I'm looking forward to reading this one. Thanks for the great review, Missie!

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.