Review of Dairy Queen

When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.
Harsh words indeed, from Brian Nelson of all people. But, D. J. can’t help admitting, maybe he’s right.

When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.
Stuff like why her best friend, Amber, isn’t so friendly anymore. Or why her little brother, Curtis, never opens his mouth. Why her mom has two jobs and a big secret. Why her college-football-star brothers won’t even call home. Why her dad would go ballistic if she tried out for the high school football team herself. And why Brian is so, so out of her league.

When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.
Welcome to the summer that fifteen-year-old D. J. Schwenk of Red Bend, Wisconsin, learns to talk, and ends up having an awful lot of stuff to say.


 Dairy Queen kept popping up on my list of audiobooks from the library, so I finally decided to go on Goodreads and see what it was all about. I was really surprised when it ended up having a lot of favorable review. The cover does nothing for this book, seriously! I understand the direction they took, but I was not screaming to read it because the cover was so amazing. The audiobook was read by Natalie Moore and was 6 hours, 7 minutes long.

  • The story was original, I had no idea what I was going to get into with the book, but it was a fun, easy ride that kept me listening.
  • The reader gave the story the Midwest accent. There was quite a few times I was smiling because it did sound like Minnesota / Wisconsin speak. There is definitely a distinct dialect in our area and this book added that right in.
  • The whole analogy with the cows, just going through the motions and doing what we are told was really interesting. I definitely feel like every day I am “herded” to work, to the grocery store, home, ect, and then go back to do it all over again. The theme of the book was really to stand out and I liked that.
  • By the time the story came to a close, I really liked the ending and the way the story wrapped up.

  •  It was another one of those good book, but not one that leaves you with a million feelings, stuck in your head for weeks. So really, there are no gripes. It was a good, fun book. It was perfect for my little road trip!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16178.Dairy_Queen





https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

8 comments

  1. Yeah, the cover really does nothing for the book, haha. Seriously I probably would've avoided it because of that, I know, I'm a cover snob sometimes, but the covers supposed to draw you in and that wouldn't have. But yeah, I get why it's there after that. It's probably one of those that are better listening that reading, too.

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say this a lot, I'm sure, but I just love how you do reviews. The list form rundown is always really helpful to me!

    I love audiobooks and the cover has a kind of Libba Bray thing going for it, so I might just pick it up b/c it was so odd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard really good things about this book as well, but like you said that cover doesn't help anything! Happy to hear you enjoyed it though. Someday I'll get around to it… if I can get past that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the first two books in the series and I really liked them a lot! The second book has a different level of depth too. I think the audiobook would be good.
    I have different covers than the one you showed here. And mine match so maybe this is the original?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen nothing but good reviews for this book and I've been meaning to read it for so long. I'm glad you're another reader who enjoyed it, and I agree the cover is quite funny and probably makes people wonder if they should read it!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm trying my first audiobook right now. It's nice but I'm not sure it's really for me... too long, to many things distracting me but it's good. I didn't know this one I confess but the cover is so fun! I'm glad you had a good time with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looooooooove this series. It's so fun and the MC is different from your usual stock. I hope you finish the trilogy- it doesn't disappoint. AND THAT: it's not one that leaves you with a million feelings. Now I want to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cover just gets me. It looks so hilarious. That's pretty much the extent of my thoughts. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.