Top Ten Most Unique Books I've Read


  1. These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan SpoonerI don’t normally read a lot of sci-fi books and this one was mind blowing for me. I loved the intrigue and mystery, along with new plants and being in outer space. I thought it was an unique story within the young adult genre.
  2. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
    This series is blowing my mind. I love the dynamics of chimera, angels and humans. Definitely a special, one-of-a-kind read! I cannot wait to see how the series finishes up.
  3. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
    This is one of the first vampire books I read and still one of my all-time favorites. The book so elegantly blended history into vampirism and there was no corny over-sexed, shiny vampires.
  4. Wicked by Gregory Maguire
    This was one of my first “fairy-tale” retellings. I loved falling in love with the “villain” and seeing life from the Wicked Witch’s POV. I had to read it twice to really appreciate it, but definitely unique and creative!
  5. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
    This book is seriously off the deep end, but in an awesome way. Strangeness all over the place – it was like a traveling circus. I still need to read the second book, but I am sure it will be just as unique as the first.
  6. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
    Oh Gone Girl, one of those books you want to throw against the wall when you are done. It is achingly painful to read, the whole first section you have cannot put down and then the second part you are invested. I cannot wait for the movie (although I have heard they are changing things a lot)
  7. Code Name Verity
    Code Name Verity is one of the first books within the World War II era I read and I was hooked. It was done so well that I went right to The Book Thief and Sarah’s Key.
  8. The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
    This one was crazy town, the vampire / zombie-ish monsters, the dark basement lab and insane asylum – SO crazy and unique!
  9. Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
    Jenny Lawson’s memoir was the funniest thing I have ever read. I was laughing so hard in the prologue. It kills me, I really need to read this again. I was reading parts out loud to anyone near me because they were hilarious and so out of this world, things could really only happen to Jenny.
  10. Cinder by Marissa Meyer
    I loved how unique and well-blended Cinder was. Marissa took the fairy tale and bumped it into a dystopian, sci-fi world. It was so unique and she is continue to weave in the best fairy tale characters into the story. Loved Scarlet and Cress, and cannot wait for Winter! (This is the only time in my life I can say “I cannot wait for Winter!”)
https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

28 comments

  1. I loved Cinder! It made my list as well.
    I noticed on your sidebar that your reading Across the Universe =D I hope your enjoying it, it is one of my favourite series!
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Historian and Wicked could have made my list too! I know that there are more books that come after Wicked, but I just don't ever see myself reading them. Have your read Swan Thieves by Kostova? That's also a pretty unique story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I have only read These Broken Stars and The Historian so far, but others are on my TBR.

    Happy reading :)

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some great recommendations here, thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I can't wait to read Cinder, I've heard nothing but praise for it. Most of the others are on my TBR (just need to find extra hours in the day to read them!)
    My TTT
    Alma @ Journey Through Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Daughter of Smoke and Bone! I'm in the middle of rereading it and ahhhh, it's so good! I love The Historian as well (...despite the fact that I have yet to finish it). I started reading it my senior year of high school and was totally mesmerized by it, but had to put it aside because school was getting so hectic. Five years later...still haven't gotten around to finishing it. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could have put Gone Girl on mine too. I loved that book. I also can't wait to read Ransom Riggs' books. They look so unique! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm currently reading Cinder and loving it!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! Fantastic actually! Lots of my favorites are listed! How excited are you about Dreams of Gods & Monsters?!?!!? WOOOOO HOOOOO! I gotta go pick up my book as soon as the hubby gets home!!
    OMG love love love Cinder and loving Scarlet right now!!
    I almost put Wicked on my list. If my list could of went on and on it would be on there! Miss Peregrine made my list too! OOOOHHHHH Man! So many books I wanted to put on there!
    Check out my Top Ten
    Michelle ~ Book Hangovers Blabs Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daughter Of Smoke & Bone made my list too! There are some really good picks here, I think that Wicked was my first Fairy Tale retelling too (I read it because I loved the Musical so much)! I have The Historian on my shelf ready to read and Cinder is on my list for this month! I'm so excited!

    Check out My Top Ten Reads!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a lot of these books on my TBR list, I really need to get round to them! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely agree about Daughter of Smoke and Bone - I haven't heard of any other books with Chimaeras in them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list! I'm reading These Broken Stars now! And Cinder, Code Name Verity and Daughter of Smoke and Bone were are terrific reads!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fanTASTIC list! Daughter of Smoke and Bone is one of my absolute favorite trilogies (it has its own place on my bookshelf, actually). The amount of imagination that was required to create such a complex story amazes me every single time I think of it, and even more so when I read the books. Laini Taylor is a truly fantastic writer.

    Also, Cinder. LOVE those books. I also love how Marissa Meyer has tangled together all of their stories so we get something more complex each time she releases a book. Very, very cool.

    Sydney @ Utterly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cinder and Code Name Verity both made my list as well! I considered These Broken Stars as well. I just wish I could have seen a bit more of the sci-fi aspect in These Broken Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for 'Stars' and Cinder. Must read that last one as I've had countless recommendations. Cannot wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I haven't read any of the books on your list! But I plan on reading some of them soon, Cinder especially!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You picked good ones! These Broken Stars is still on my TBR. Laini's books are always so unique! And Cinder was SO different and I love that series! Wonderful list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmmm…most of these picks were new to me :) But I totally agree with Cinder - such a great, unique read! I'm really interested in checking out These Broken Stars - great picks, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome choices, i should read Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson sounds fun and i love fun! :)
    Boyanna @The Bookmaidens

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great list! I was thinking about These Broken Stars as well. I loved the interrogation before each chapter, and I can't believe it was co-authored!

    I've heard about The Historian, but have never read it. I'll have to put it on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great list :) I have seen Cinder on so many lists today, it is making me very excited to finally get to that one. My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the sound of "Let's Pretend This Never Happened"! Both the cover and your comment there made me laugh. I'm very surprised to see it's a memoir but at the same time it's nothing like the memoirs I have seen before. I'm ready to laugh my head off, come at me yo! :P

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with you on These Broken Stars and Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Missie. Not only the ideas are unique, I immensely enjoyed the writings! Especially Laini. She has a special way of describing things that just really gripped my heart. I'm so excited about Dreams of Gods and Monsters XD

    Tirta @ I Prefer Reading

    ReplyDelete
  26. I almost put Wicked on my list too. I have These Broken Stars and Cinder, but haven't read either of them yet - really need to get to that!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree with a lot of your picks. There is a lot on unique books out there! :)

    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great list :D I have read a few of these books. <3 My favorite, though, is Cinder. Sigh. Such an awesome book. <3 Thank you for sharing :D
    Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.