Review of the Veronica Mars Movie and Book


Veronica Mars was one of those cult classics that hit it big when it was cancelled and put on Netflix for us to binge-watch and consume with a passion. I admittedly never watching when it was on TV, even when I was watching America’s Next Top Model in the time spot right before. I never knew what a gem I was missing. Once I started watching the seasons on Netflix I was hooked. Veronica is so witty, smart and strong, but there is vulnerability underneath that can’t help but surface every once and a while. Her best friends Wallace and Mac were amazing, to people I would have been friends with too. Veronica’s dad, Keith is a private investigator after the public ousted him while Sheriff. Veronica works as her dad’s “receptionist” but she ends up doing just as much private eye work as her dad.

The series abruptly ends in the third season, her season year of high school. CW cancelled the show. Last year a Kickstarter campaign raised enough money to bring Veronica Mars back to life with a full length movie. The movie was released both in theaters and digitally on March 14th. I happily rented it through my Roku even though it is rumored to hit theaters in Fargo, ND.


  • The movie was great, it was so fun to see all of our old favorites grown-up and back in action.
  • I have always had a little thing for the romance between Logan and Veronica. Although Veronica is dating Piz when she goes back to Neptune, I still held high hopes that Logan would be back in the picture soon.
  • The investigation followed typical Veronica standards, Logan was accused of killing his girlfriend and Veronica signs on right away to prove his innocence.
  • The old Sheriff Lamb is replaced by an even more disgusting older brother, oh Neptune police force, why do you suck?
  • Veronica (Kristen Bell) is at a bar and her real-life husband, Dax Shepard makes a cameo. Veronica is seen gagging when he tried to get her to dance. I was laughing so hard! Love the wit in this show!

  • There were points that were a little slow, but Veronica Mars has often had some pacing issues.
  • It ended, I wanted more, so much more! There is a rumor that a 2nd movie is going to be produced!

“Our story’s epic” – Logan

“In what world do you get to leave the ring and declare victory?” – Veronica




 From Rob Thomas, the creator of the television series and movie phenomenon Veronica Mars, comes the first book in a thrilling mystery series that picks up where the feature film left off.

Ten years after graduating from high school in Neptune, California, Veronica Mars is back in the land of sun, sand, crime, and corruption. She’s traded in her law degree for her old private investigating license, struggling to keep Mars Investigations afloat on the scant cash earned by catching cheating spouses until she can score her first big case.

Now it’s spring break, and college students descend on Neptune, transforming the beaches and boardwalks into a frenzied, week-long rave. When a girl disappears from a party, Veronica is called in to investigate. But this is no simple missing person’s case; the house the girl vanished from belongs to a man with serious criminal ties, and soon Veronica is plunged into a dangerous underworld of drugs and organized crime. And when a major break in the investigation has a shocking connection to Veronica’s past, the case hits closer to home than she ever imagined.

In Veronica Mars, Rob Thomas has created a groundbreaking female detective who’s part Phillip Marlowe, part Nancy Drew, and all snark. With its sharp plot and clever twists, The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line will keep you guessing until the very last page.

A couple weeks after the movie was released, Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham also released the first ever Veronica Mars book. I pre-ordered this baby the second the movie was over (along with the movie soundtrack). The book was released March 25th. Make sure that you watch the movie before you read the book. The book starts off right where the movie left off and has spoilers from the movie, including who actually killed Logan’s girlfriend.

  • Rob Thomas is an amazing writer. This book comes to life and continues the world-building you know and love from the TV show and movie.
  • All your faves are in the book, Logan, Weevil, Mac, Wallace, Keith – everyone is here for the party. Plus the book references a lot of the old cases from the show. It is like being able to fangirl over the series while reading an intense new investigation.
  • The story hooks you – I was almost late to work because I was reading the book in the morning and did not want to stop. It is a quick read and the pacing really keeps you interested. This “Who Done It” is done right!
  • Veronica’s voice stays true to who she was in the books and movie. I really think she is one of the most well-written characters in TV / book history and that is why the show has such a huge fan base.
  • Not a single one – this is hopefully the beginning of a beautiful book friendship
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18209454-the-thousand-dollar-tan-line?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

16 comments

  1. Oh I am so going to see this movie today!!! I was a huge VM fan when it was on TV and I love the way they were able to get all the same actors back for the movie. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the movie when it came out, but funnily I haven't watched a single TV episode! I loved it so much though and I am definitely going to start the series once school ends. I'd love to read the book as well. Great review!!!:)

    -Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had watched episodes here and there of the show but never many and never in order. I'll have to be sure to pull them up on Netflix if it's still up cause when I had looked awhile back it wasn't on there. I know it's one I like, so I want to watch all the episodes, watch the movie and read the book. I think I'll love it all! I wasn't sure about the book before though and now I know I need it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved the movie, and it was so good to see it in a cinema and hear the reaction from the crowd. I thought it was pretty good!

    I'm listening to the audio of the book at the moment, and I'm finding it a little slow and drawn out, definitely not as fast paced as the tv show or the movie, but I am loving Kristen's narration and all the references to the show/movie :)

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never really seen Veronica Mars. It was popular when I was in high school, but I think Kristen Bell annoyed me back then. (She doesn't anymore). I want to watch the series, but I live in the middle of nowhere, so I can't stream anything. =(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never watched Veronica Mars but he upcoming movie is the only thing anyone's talking about on Twitter!! Will be looking up for the TV series-- it's Binge Watch time ;)

    Alicia @ Summer Next Top Story

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still need to see the movie. But I am super excited because Veronica Mars was one of my favorite tv shows. I can't wait to see what everyone is up to. My roommate was a little disappointed but she said it was because sh has such high expectations.

    I also didn't know about the book. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO good that the book is good, Missie! I bought a copy but haven't read it yet... Will have to change that soon! I'm really hoping for another movie too, but, if it doesn't happen, I'd be satisfied with more books.

    Also, is it actually Rob Thomas who wrote the book? Because I thought it was all Jennifer Graham, though Thomas was noted because he created the characters... Hmmm. I'm not really sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen a single episode of Veronica Mars LOL I'm glad you enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh that's great, I didn't know a book was out to continue the movie, now I want it as well and I think I'll buy it really soon too. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never really watched the show :( but was really curious about the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm waiting for the movie to come out on blu-ray so I can watch it. Only a month to go. I might have to pick up that book though. I was addicted to the series, but like you, I only watched it after it had ended.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I seriously ADORED the movie. I'm probably going to buy it on Blu-Ray with all sorts of deluxe whatnots tacked on it just so I can get more of Jason Dohring and LoVe. Also, I saw the book the other day at Costco and I wanted to buy it right then and there. I loved the TV series to death, so I know the book will be an interesting spin on the after happenings of the movie, but I resisted. I'll buy it soon. :P I'm seriously hoping for another movie and more books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I though the movie was great and oh man Logan is so hot :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. I must say I have never been interested in Veronica Mars but since the hype of the movie coming out, I feel like I need to give at least the first few episodes a try! I have a feeling like I might be hooked :P Thanks for the great reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your review to the movie AND book Missie, I have always been a fan of VMars and loved the movie as well. It was great getting some closure for the series that ended weirdly. Glad to hear the book is great too!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.