Review of Tiger Lily

Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to the girl with the crow feather in her hair. . . .

Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily doesn't believe in love stories or happy endings. Then she meets the alluring teenage Peter Pan in the forbidden woods of Neverland and immediately falls under his spell.

Peter is unlike anyone she's ever known. Impetuous and brave, he both scares and enthralls her. As the leader of the Lost Boys, the most fearsome of Neverland's inhabitants, Peter is an unthinkable match for Tiger Lily. Soon, she is risking everything—her family, her future—to be with him. When she is faced with marriage to a terrible man in her own tribe, she must choose between the life she's always known and running away to an uncertain future with Peter.

With enemies threatening to tear them apart, the lovers seem doomed. But it's the arrival of Wendy Darling, an English girl who's everything Tiger Lily is not, that leads Tiger Lily to discover that the most dangerous enemies can live inside even the most loyal and loving heart.

From the New York Times bestselling author of Peaches comes a magical and bewitching story of the romance between a fearless heroine and the boy who wouldn't grow up.

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson is a re-telling of Tiger Lily from Peter Pan. I love re-tellings so much and Tinker Bell is my favorite Disney character, so I could not wait to read this book. I found the audiobook at the library, it was read by Cassandra Morris and was 7 hours, 15 minutes long. The story was book, I enjoyed it but it didn’t resonate as a book I would hold a close place in my heart.

  • I have always loved Neverland and this story really brought a whole new Neverland to life. Along with Peter, the Lost Boys and the pirates on the island, there are also tribes.
  • Tiger Lily was a fierce character. I haven’t wanted the movie for a while, but she seems so meek. In the story Tiger Lily is strong, independent and doesn’t care what people think of her. She is also dedicated to being loyal to her adopted father and still trying to be a good person within her tribe.
  • I liked Peter, he was mystical, but still struggling with growing up or staying a child. He was responsible for the Lost Boys and you could see that wears on him.
  • Wendy wasn’t the heroine in this story. I have always loved her in the movie, but her character took on a completely different role.
  • Tinker Bell narrated the story which gave a unique spin.
  • The writing was well done, there were some amazing metaphors and quotes.


  • The plot was a little ho-hum. I didn’t really get excited about the book until the last ¼ when things started to pick up. It was a little dry in the beginning.
  • The ending was not what I expected, not that it made the book bad, but it definitely was different that the typical “Disney” ending you are expecting.
  • With Tinker Bell narrating the story, she was switching POVs and sometimes I got confused that Tink was talking about herself rather than Tiger Lily. I had to change my focus when Tink started to narrate for herself.


"A fairy heart is different from a human heart. Human hearts are elastic, they have room for all sorts of passion, and they can break, and heal, and love again and again. Fairy hearts are evolutionarily less sophisticated. They are small and hard like tiny grains of sand. Our hearts are too small to love more than I 
 person in a lifetime."




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

15 comments

  1. The writing in this one was beautiful! The book was slow for me as well. The ending was very surprising. Lovely review, Missie!

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea for a book, might have to add it to my tbr list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really interesting! I love all things Peter Pan and Neverland so will definitely have to give this a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love re-tellings like that and I confess I'm curious about it because I don't think I saw one about Peter Pan. But well it's a little long to be attracted by the plot maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought this bought a little over a month ago and still have not read it. It sounded like a good read and I've been told it was! Also heard it'll pull on my heart-strings!! Eeekkk. Tissue paper, prepared! lol
    I'm excited that Tinker Bell is the narrator and that Tiger Lily was a strong, independent and loyal character.
    After I get through with the Daughter of Smoke & Bone's last book, I think I'm gonna give this one a read!
    Thanks for your thoughts and review Missie!!
    Michelle ~ Book Hangovers Blabs Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the writing in this book! It's so lyrical and elegant. The last letter from Peter to Tiger Lily totally broke my heart. It's just so sad to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh this looks intriguing! I've heard great reviews on the writing style in particular! I hope I get round to reading this soon! Nice review :)

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a bunch for reviewing this one, Missie. Tink is one of my very favorite Disney girls too so knowing she plays a fun role in this one makes me happy. I'm debating whether or not to read this one as I'm also eyeing the new book coming this spring/summer about Peter Pan. I've not read a re-telling of this so it'd be fun to try one of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review Missie! I've heard raves about this book and I love the unique twist to it.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome review you've captured my thoughts exactly. While I did enjoy this book, I didn't love it. Thanks for sharing Missie =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, surprised to hear about the ending part. The idea of it is awesome though

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely quote! Intriguing, i would love to see how the world looks through Tinkerbell's eyes. also you made me curious about the ending. i feel like reading it just to see what happens!
    Boyanna @The Bookmaidens

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww to bad it didn't hit you right in the feels like you were expecting. It definitely got to me. :)
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too bad this one wasn't terribly exciting. I love the idea of a book about Tiger Lily.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review. <3 I have not decided yet when I wish to read this book. I do own it, though. I'm worried that it will confuse me :p but so many have said it is beautiful. Hmm. We'll see :D Thank you for sharing. <3
    Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.