Review of These Broken Stars

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.


A timeless love story, THESE BROKEN STARS sets into motion a sweeping science fiction series of companion novels. The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.
 These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner was one of the most unique books I have read in a long time. It was a mix of Titanic and Lost, in outer space! I literally sat on the couch Sunday morning, reading until I finished because I had to find out what was going on with the planet.

  • Amazing world building. I was so impressed with the ship and then the planet, plus how the world works now. It was so interesting.
  • The creepiness of the planet was intense. Lilac thinks she is going crazy because she is hearing whispers, so reminded me of Lost and the Others. (It did help that my husband was downstairs watching Lost, so I kept hearing that creepy noise from the show)
  • I really liked both MC, Lilac and Tarver. This was written from each of their POVs and the First Person did not bother me as much in this book. When First Person is really well done, it turns out amazing.
  • The book twisted and turned in ways I didn’t see coming. I actually enjoyed how it ended, really opening up for the rest of the series. I am intrigued to see where this series is going to go.
  • I always love the throw back to old traditions in the future, it was 1900s in the future. Really interesting to put the traditionalism of the upper class with the newness of space.
  • I wanted to know more about the planet. I am sure we will learn more in the second book, but they eluded to so much at the end of These Broken Stars and within the interview in-between chapters that I really wanted more information.
  • I am a little surprised that we did not learn more about the other people killed since we were slightly told about the decreased from one Pod. I am not sure how to say this without spoiling, but when you read I think you will see what I mean.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13138635-these-broken-stars?from_search=true






https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

22 comments

  1. Five stars? Well, jeez!

    This book actually ended up not being all that great for me — I kind of felt like it dragged a little bit and I never really identified with the characters :( Also, I agree that it would've been really cool to know more about the planet! A little bit more development there would've been awesome.

    I'm glad this was such a great read for you though! Hopefully the sequel won't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love great world building and creepy stories full of twists and turns! Glad you liked this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love great world-building, so I may need to check this one out. I've been attracted to the gorgeous cover, but wasn't really sure what the book was actually about before now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked it! I thought it was decent (so much hype surrounding it), but I'm still looking forward to the next book in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cover is very intriguing. I don't usually buy books based on the cover, so it's good to hear someone else's thoughts on it. Good world-building in a story is always enticing. I might have to give this book a go!

    -Jordan

    http://jordansjewels.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this one too! It was unique, had great characters and kept you guessing about what the heck was happening on that planet. I've heard a lot of bloggers say they don't like 1st person lately, which seems crazy to me because it's my favorite point-of-view. Glad it worked for you in this story =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh this reminds me of another book I need to read!! Errr I wish there are more hours in a day :( I'm super curious about the world and this space romance sounds awesome and totally swoon-worthy! Can't wait to start it myself :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book, too!! I agree about not getting enough info about the planet, but I think there's answers to come. LOVE Lilac and Tarver. And EXCELLENT point about the traditionalism of the upper class in space -- I loved that, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my all-time favorite reads, so I'm really glad you liked this one too Missy! I agree...the characterization and romance was just incredible! I have a feeling we're going to learn more about the planet in the rest of the trilogy, but for a 1st book in a series I felt it was adequate enough. Thanks so much for sharing, and, as always, brilliant review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen this at the library and thought about reading it...glad to know you like it! -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow the blurb and review I just read actually made me feel a little excited inside because it sounded quite interesting!! Thanks for sharing! :) I might consider reading it soon

    I'm too afraid to pull a prank because it scares me that they'd get mad haha! Awesome blog, by the way! :)) I really appreciate the effort you make!

    by the way, I just started a book blog myself a few days ago, and it'd be nice if you could please check it out? And if you want to follow each other, please let me know so I could do the same as well! Thanks again!! xx

    MY BLOG: jilliansbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely agree with you! This book have amazing world building, beautiful when it has to, but freaking creepy when it want to be. And the characters are superb as well! :D
    And I love that you point out that we didn't learned about the other people. That's true, now that I think of it, we saw the first but the rest are just... not.
    Anyway, great review! And I love your blog layout! It's so cute and fresh :D

    Neysa @ Papier Revue

    ReplyDelete
  13. I SO LOVE THIS BOOK! It's brilliant and one of my all time favourites!! x) X) When is the sequel coming to my hands?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I loved this book too! I was really impressed with the world building. Also, I agree with you about the POV switch. I think they did a great job at the dual first person narration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book has been on my TBR pile for months now and I can't wait to get to it! I am a little bit intimidated by the 2 POV aspect of it all, but I believe it's going to work out just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really want to read this book! I'm glad you got the chance to read it and that you enjoyed it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought the lack of information about the planet was interesting too, because on the surface it was exactly like Earth in the wilderness except for those weird alien being things. This one was one of my favorites last year, I'm glad you loved it too!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I'm SO anxious to read this book!! My husband got it for me as birthday present, in February. (It also coincided nicely with Valentine's Day. He added flowers, too!) That cover is SO GORGEOUS. And I love science fiction, so I'm really excited about it!

    Thanks to your excellent review, I'll know what to look for. Now that I've read your thoughts, I'm even MORE interested in this novel! Thanks for sharing!! Also, thanks for dropping by and commenting on my "Shelf Candy Saturday" post!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. gah so need to get on this one, I own the book but just need time!
    I keep hearing about the amazing world building and swooning over it.
    Oh and I do hope they do give more info on the planet in the next book

    ReplyDelete
  20. First off, LOST! My fave show ever! :D
    I loved this book, too. It just totally threw me. I cannot wait for the next one. Did you know it's going to be a companion? I need a synopsis soon!
    Happy reading!

    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  21. So happy you liked this one!! It was one of the first books I read after my reading slump and I LOVED it! The creepy planet and all the twists were definitely pluses for me, and I absolutely adored Lilac and Tarver together!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is one of the books that I'm SO looking forward to! After reading your glowing review, I am giving in and hopping over to Amazon to get it! :) Meagan Spooner actually lives like ~30 minutes from me, so I'm hoping to catch her doing an event at one of the local bookstores eventually. Great review. :)

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.