Review of The Scorpio Races

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.




Since I thoroughly enjoyed The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievfvater, I thought I would give The Scorpio Races a chance. I was really blow away my the imagery in this book and once again loved Maggie’s writing! I listened to the audiobook. It was 12 hours, 9 minutes long read by Steve West and Fiona Hardingham.

  • The world-building was so cool, a small town island that has these water horses that come each fall. You could feel like cool, gloomy days on the island and really imagine what the horses and the Scorpio race was like.
    I love the MCs – Puck and Sean were probably two of my favorite characters as of late. Puck was so fierce, loyal, strong but vulnerable. I cannot imagine striving under the tragedy her family did. And Sean, so well-written. He was calm, strong and still mysterious.
  • The ending was so good, so many feels! My heart felt like it was going to burst.
  • The slow-burn romance was great. It really worked for the story and the environment.

  • It was a bit slow in some times, it did not at all make me want to stop listening, but I wanted a little more action.
  • I never really understood why have the races and the appeal of the island over the mainland. I realize leaving your home is not easy, but it just felt like there was this mystery with the island and the races that I wasn’t exactly sure of the draw to do something so dangerous when it was only for money.


“Dori is what mom used to call a ‘strong looking woman,’ which meant from the back she looked like a man and from the front you preferred the back.”

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10626594-the-scorpio-races?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

11 comments

  1. See, Maggie Stievfvater is a bit hit and miss with me. I love The Raven Boys but really didn't like Shiver at all (haven't read this one yet though). Shame it's a bit slow (that's always annoying) but yessss slow burn romance are the best, even if it just makes you like JUST KISS ALREADY, haha. Despite that though, glad you loved it!


    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! There's SO many bad reviews for it. I listened to the audio as well, and I absolutely LOVED the narrators - they did such a great job! It was slow in parts, but I enjoyed the narrators so much that I never lost interest!

    Jessi @ Novel Heartbeat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still really need to read this one! Is it kind of similar to the Hunger Games? The goodreads summary really hints at a plot like that.
    Val @ Innocent Smiley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so glad you liked THE SCORPIO RACES! It has to be my favorite Maggie Stiefvater book. For me, I didn't need there to necessarily be a main reason why people did the Races. I mean, people do a lot of stupid and dangerous stuff - sometimes not even for money - on a regular basis. People are stupid like that sometimes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my all time favorite books! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been able to get into a couple of Maggie's books, but I'm glad this was so enjoyable for you! I'm tempted to try this one although a slow plot is mostly what bothers me about Maggie Stiefvater's other series... Great review!

    Charlene @ Bookish Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't read this book ;) I must read it ;)

    I follow you beautiful blog. I hope you will follow me back and I will wait for you in my blog www.gabusiek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds awesome, Missie. Slow-burning romances are definitely my thing. I'm pretty curious about that ending, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. well depsite the slow pace it sounds really good! I read a series by this author but I haven't tried this one, I think I should, the world makes me curious! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another one of my favourites! Yay! Glad you loved it. :D
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.