Review of Miss Mabel's School for Girls

Never underestimate the power of a determined witch.

Letum Wood is a forest of fog and deadfall, home to the quietly famous Miss Mabel’s School for Girls, a place where young witches learn the art of magic.

Sixteen-year-old Bianca Monroe has inherited a deadly curse. Determined to break free before it kills her, she enrolls in the respected school to confront the cunning witch who cast the curse: Miss Mabel.

Bianca finds herself faced with dark magic she didn’t expect, with lessons more dangerous than she could have ever imagined. Will Bianca have the courage to save herself from the curse, or will Miss Mabel’s sinister plan be too powerful?

Miss Mabel’s School for Girls is the first novel in The Network Series, an exciting new fantasy collection. A gripping tale about the struggle to survive, it will take you to a new place and time, one you’ll never want to leave.
I found out about Miss Mabel’s School for Girls in an email to do a release day post. I love boarding schools, witches, mystery so the book seemed totally up my alley. Plus, the author seemed so cool. I am so glad I bought it, especially because it was only $2.99 on Amazon!

  • The storyline was so cool, although there did seem to be some comparing to Harry Potter (which really can’t be helped right?) but once it got going it really stood on its own.
  • I loved the MC Bianca, she is so strong, brilliant but still young and vulnerable. I loved how well she was written and it makes me so excited for the next book in the series.
  • The side characters were also really appealing – the teachers, Camille and Leda were awesome. I am excited to see how the girls play out in the rest of the book. Leda’s special talent and Camille trying to figure herself out will definitely have to grow in the second book.
  • Miss Mabel was an awesome villain (this is a little bit of a spoiler but kinda obvious). She was really well done.
  • The world-building was unique and I really liked how mortals and the Networks were portrayed.
  • There was a bit of first book syndrome. It was mostly a lead up for the rest of the series, so that was tough. I really wish the second book was already out so I could start.
  • The beginning and contest were kinda rushed, I wish that it had a little more build-up and focus. I would have been ok with more pages to really flush out the contest and make it more of the plot for the first book.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21000786-miss-mabel-s-school-for-girls?from_search=true 



https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

18 comments

  1. Sounds like a interesting series with a few faults. Hope the second book gets better :) thanks for the honest review. I might give it a go once the second book comes out :D

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. ONLY $2.99! WOOOO
    I've seen a ton of reviews on this, and I'm finally looking into it now. At first it reminded me of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, but now not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds really good, especially for being so cheap. Sounds like a great bargain buy. Yeah, most books that are to do with magic is getting compared to Harry Potter these days, especially when there's also boarding schools involved. It sounds fun though, and yeah, first book syndrome kind of sucks (I've had a few this year so far.) :( Glad overall it was enjoyable though! :)

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sounds right up my alley. I'll have to check it out. :)
    Happy reading!

    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fun read and a great start to a series! I'm glad you enjoyed this one - it's hard to live up to Harry Potter comparisons! :)

    Charlene @ Bookish Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good, especially after seeing you enjoyed it! I'll have to add it to my tbr.

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a books I would enjoy. I'm going to go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The characters and world building sound great! I love books with magic, so I'll have to check this out.

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really interesting! Even if it did suffer from 1st book syndrome a little bit, at least that didn't hinder your experience too much!

    Thanks for sharing, and, as always, BRILLIANT review Missie! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  10. First book syndrome is rough. Sounds like an interesting read though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this somewhere, but, yeah the cover doesn't really grab me. I'm seeing a LOT of first-book-sucks around a bit lately and I do wonder WHY it happens so much! Gah. Is it too much to ask for 100% perfection all the time? ;) lol I'm jooooking. Really interesting review, Missie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds great, I didn't know this one but I confess that now I want to discover the world as it sounds really interesting and the villain, because it's always so great to have a real one. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems awesome! I'll give it a try! Great review. :)

    Ivana @ BookishTeens

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't mind HP comparisons as long as the book is not a knock off. This one sounds like it has it's own originality to it and great characters. The first book syndrome is something I'm seeing more and more I wonder if this is something that publicists are pushing. Hmm. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, this sounds really good! I think the FIRST BOOK syndrome thing would irritate me though. I see this trend too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a new book to me, but it is a shame that it kind of was just a lead up to the actual series. I have been noticing that more and more lately. But this one still looks pretty interesting. I think I will put it on my wishlist.

    Great review Missy

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  17. aww I love an awesome plot!
    and good strong secondary characters :D this one sounds exciting

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm. I've never heard of this one. Agreed that a book about a boarding school for witches will always be compared to HP, but I'm glad this one grew into its own. I hate it when first books just feel like a set-up for the rest of the series, though...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.