Review of If I Stay

Just listen, Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel.

I open my eyes wide now.
I sit up as much as I can.
And I listen.

Stay, he says.


Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love—music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind?

Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it's the only one that matters.

If I Stay is a heartachingly beautiful book about the power of love, the true meaning of family, and the choices we all make.
If I Stay by Gayle Forman caught my eye on a recent blog post. I have heard amazing things about the books Gayle has written and I am so glad I picked up If I Stay from the audiobook. I listened to the audiobook, which was read by Kirsten Potter and was 5 hours, 4 minutes long.


  • This book hits you like a freight train. The family is so cute, starts off sitting happily eating breakfast on a snow day. The hop in the car, happily chatting with each other and then BOOM life changes. Definitely reminds you that every minute of life needs to be lived to the fullest.
  • I loved the struggle between life and death, being or unbeing. Mia has to decide what she is going to do and how she wants to react to her new situation.
  • The book goes between past and present, it was so neat to read what it could possibly be like to have an outer-body experience.
  • I loved Mia, I loved that she felt like she never fit in and I loved her passion for music. I have this bright red hair that no one, even in my extended family has, so it was always a joke that I was the “milkman’s” daughter. Mia felt the same way because she had dark features when her family were all blond.
  • Mia boyfriend was so cute and now added to my book crush list. He seriously had to jump through hoops to get in to see her. His anguish was so thick, it was so hard not to well up with feels!


  • To tell you the truth, I really can’t think of any. I think this would have been a really good stand-alone, so I am just really hoping the 2nd book won’t mess up the magic.



“I realize now that dying is easy. It is living that’s hard.”

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4374400-if-i-stay





https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

18 comments

  1. Don't worry, book 2 definitely won't mess it up. I thought Where She Went was even much, much better than this one. Fantastic review, Missie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd really like to read this one before the movie comes out -- sounds like it's definitely worth a read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently there's a movie coming out for this! I heard it's August 22nd, but I'm not exactly sure on that date!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book too! Have you read The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson? Equally beautifully written and devastating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm the only person anywhere who really didn't like this book very much. But I actually did like the sequel. Weird, I know.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of it, but it sure seems very interesting. Great review, as always! :)

    Ivana @ BookishTeens

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear you couldn't think of any gripes! I love it when I find books like that. And the milkman's daughter. :) My co-blogger Ashley is also a redhead -- I'm totally jealous of her hair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to hear you enjoyed this one =) Have you seen the movie trailer yet? It's fantastic! Don't worry the second book doesn't mess things up, I actually liked the sequel better. Plus, it's told from Adam's POV!

    Amanda @ Born Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this one too. Very emotional! The second book was great, and it made me happy to get Adam's POV. I hope you read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read this yet despite owning it for YEARS. I definitely plan on picking it up before the film and have heard that it is amazing. I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope you enjoy the sequel, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you enjoyed it Missie, I read this book but it was kind of 3 stars for me. Glad to hear you got to it before the movie came out.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I stay was a good book, even though I cried pretty much the entire time I was reading it. My eyes were so red and puffy. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority with this, but I wasn't a fan of the second book. I just found a lot of things annoying, but I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm reading this book next, actually! I'm so glad to hear you loved it :) I just saw the trailer for the movie this fall, and I just had to read it now :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a heartbreaking book .. I'm glad you loved it too! Such interesting reviews, I had to follow through GFC :)

    www.benishkhan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the most difficult thing to do in books is to alternate past and persent because it must be really well done for the reader. But I love books like that, it's always so interesting! I didn't know this one but it's nice to see it was that good and to have a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it's the most difficult thing to alternate past and present is books, because it must be really well done for the reader. But I love books like that and it's always interesting to discover how the author will do it. The story sounds really beautiful as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you loved this one! It's one of my favourites and I can't wait to do a re-read before the movie.
    And that trailer. Holy crap it is fantastic!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read both, and I loved the second book, too, so I don't think it'll mess up book one for you! :) The quote you picked is one of my faves, too, and I think it's absolutely true although hard for me to feel sometimes. I really loved this book, and I'm glad you loved it, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.