Review of The Golden Apple and Week Recap

Kayla's world has been turned upside-down . . .

Her father has made her the prize in a deadly, impossible tournament, and Kayla has retaliated in the only way she knows how; by choosing her champion beforehand. But taking control of the outcome changes the game completely, and when the real reason behind the strange test becomes apparent, Kayla realizes not just her life, but her entire kingdom is at stake.
Rane's honor is torn in two...

In order to save his brother, Rane will do whatever he has to--including deceive and betray a princess. He knew nothing about this tournament would be easy, but when it turns into a deeper, far more sinister game, Rane is forced to see it through to the end, or leave his brother at the mercy of their enemy.
Now their fates are entwined, and they must venture into the deep, dark forest together . . .
 

Kayla and Rane are bound to one another by an enchantment and Kayla's actions. But the sorcerer forcing them to do his will may have miscalculated, because no-one comes out of the Great Forest unchanged. No-one.
The Golden Apple is loosely based on the fairy tale The Princess on the Glass Hill.

I have never read the fairy tale The Princess on the Glass Hill, but I love retellings, so I jumped on the chance to review this book by Michelle Diener.

  • I really like Kayla and Rane, both were in a hard place and trying to stay true to themselves, but still put themselves in situations that was not the best choice. I really like the push and pull in their relationship. It was like insta-love but then went backwards to a slow burn.
  • The magic in the book was very unique, I loved the wild magic and Sooty so much!
  • The characters were intriguing, I liked the witch and Jasper and the reasons why he wanted the Golden Apple so much.
  • The story was even-tempered the whole way through. There really wasn't a huge climax that kept me wanting to read. It was enjoyable, but not mind blowing.
  • I had a really hard time picturing the glass mountain and how the knights were trying to get to the top. I just needed some more detail.
Disclaimer: A complimentary copy of the ebook was provided to me by the author and publisher in exchange of an honest review. The views expressed above are entirely my own and are in, no way, affected by the source of this book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20762226-the-golden-apple




This was a whirlwind week, it started with a snow storm on Monday and then it is supposed to be 50 degrees today. I really hope this means that Spring is finally going to be here! I really cannot wait to get outside and be able to read on the deck! This week I also finished my reading goal for the year! I have never read this many books in 3 months! So fun!

This Week I Read:

This Week On A Flurry of Ponderings:

Monday - Review of The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
Tuesday - Review of the Divergent Movie
Wednesday - Review of Into The Still Blue
Thursday -  The Only Boy Book Blitz and Giveaway
Friday - Review of These Broken Stars
Saturday - Review of the Veronica Mars Movie and Book

Upcoming Reviews:



Bingo Update:


https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

28 comments

  1. It seems pretty good to me, I think I would buy it if I saw it at the bookstore. I'm sorry you didn't like it as much.

    Also, I'm so proud of you! My goal is 50 books too, but I'm only on my 10th book... which is 250k words long, so I'm forgiven, hopefully. Anyway - good job! *sends virtual pizza*

    Ivana @ BookishTeens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. I like unique magic. And I'm with you, I like to be able to picture things in my mind as I read, and I get frustrated if there isn't quite enough detail to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fairy tale retellings! And I really like the cover on this one. I'm sorry to hear it wasn't the greatest. I still might check it out, but maybe I'll see if the library has it before I go and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice haul of books. Sorry to hear that this book wasn't for u. Not every book is going to be for someone. At least you gave it a try. You got some really good books this week.

    Grace
    Books of Love
    http://gracebooksoflove.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read Something Real so bad! I have heard of Michelle Diener, but I'm not sure I've seen any reviews of her books. I'll skip this one since it didn't wow you though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I received The Golden Apple too.I love the sound of the premise. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, I'm interested in seeing what you think of The 100. I've had an ARC of that one for like, FOREVER, but I have not read it yet.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You revied some great books. I love These Broken Stars. I had questions at the end too. Following back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the Scorpio Races and If I Stay! I have The 100 and plan to read it soon.

    Thanks for stoppping by and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Scorpio Races was stunning. The audio book is great, too. New follower. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never read The Princess on the Glass Hill either! But I do love my re-tellings as well. somehow never heard of this one.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Justice buried sounds good, hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm seeing this book bingo around a fair bit, it looks kind of fun! YAY for the Scorpio Races! I absolutely adore that book!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Golden Apple sounds pretty good! I like the sound of the premise, although it's too bad that there's not much of a climax. That's amazing you already completed your reading goal, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm looking forward too your opinion of The 100. I read an ARC of it last year, and I was so excited to read it, but it didn't turn out like I thought. It wasn't terrible by any means, but it wasn't what I expected. I think I gave it 3.5 Stars, so it wasn't that bad!

    Anyways, thanks for stopping by my STS @ Addicted Readers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, If I Stay was soo sad. I was a crying trainwreck at the end of that one. And that Bingo reading game looks interesting. That's a cool way to pick up different books. Happy reading!

    Thanks for visiting my haul.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's awesome that you met your GR goal! I did that last year twice and so I also adjusted it twice. :)

    I really enjoyed The Scorpio Races! It was so unique and her writing and characters are really good. A couple of the other books you listed I'll be reading in the future.

    Thanks for stopping by my STS!

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love retellings as well, mainly when they're well done. This book is intriguing.

    Happy reading lady!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Golden Apple sounds so good! I am definitely adding it to my TBR list. Nice haul too :) The only ones I've read are If I Stay and The Scorpio Races but I loved both and hope you do too. Thanks for stopping by and happy reading!

    Zareena @ Books and Books

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did you like If I stay? I really want to read the book but I'm not sure if it's worth it :/ I've heard mixed reviews of it
    Paulina @ Tangled In Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really liked If I Stay. I listened to the audiobook. It was unique and I liked the writing a lot!

      Delete
  21. LOVED If I Stay! I read it on the car on the way home from vacation! Never got to the second book, but I do have it. MILA 2.0 was just eh for me. I have an ARC of #2 and I do intend to read it even though I wasn't thrilled with the first one. Thanks for stopping by The Cover Contessa

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh, can't wait to hear what you think of Mila 2.0! You read heaps of books this week, I wish I could read that fast. I haven't heard of the Golden Apple before but it sounds like a magical fairytale.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome book haul! Hope you enjoy them!!

    Thanx for visiting My Weekly Wrap-Up!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome haul!! Lots of ones that have been on my TBR for ever!! Hope you enjoy them!

    Thanx for visiting My Weekly Wrap-Up!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  25. I read Michelle Diener's Mistress of the Wind awhile ago and I wasn't very impressed at all. I like the fact that her stories are all inspired by Norwegian tales, but it just doesn't make me feel engaged. I'm not sure if I will try out The Golden Apple :/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't like when the book isn't climatic. I like to have that suspense, mystery and like it to be a page turner. Sadly, many books are this way. Thanks for stopping by my STS! Happy Reading!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.