Review of Dark Places

"I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ."

Libby Day was seven when her mother and two sisters were murdered in “The Satan Sacrifice of Kinnakee, Kansas.” As her family lay dying, little Libby fled their tiny farmhouse into the freezing January snow. She lost some fingers and toes, but she survived–and famously testified that her fifteen-year-old brother, Ben, was the killer. Twenty-five years later, Ben sits in prison, and troubled Libby lives off the dregs of a trust created by well-wishers who’ve long forgotten her.

The Kill Club is a macabre secret society obsessed with notorious crimes. When they locate Libby and pump her for details–proof they hope may free Ben–Libby hatches a plan to profit off her tragic history. For a fee, she’ll reconnect with the players from that night and report her findings to the club… and maybe she’ll admit her testimony wasn’t so solid after all.

As Libby’s search takes her from shabby Missouri strip clubs to abandoned Oklahoma tourist towns, the narrative flashes back to January 2, 1985. The events of that day are relayed through the eyes of Libby’s doomed family members–including Ben, a loner whose rage over his shiftless father and their failing farm have driven him into a disturbing friendship with the new girl in town. Piece by piece, the unimaginable truth emerges, and Libby finds herself right back where she started–on the run from a killer.
Gone Girl had to be one of the craziest books I have ever read. I remember staying up way late to get through the first part and figure out what happened to Amy. When I finished the book, I had to talk about it, had so many angry feels that I wanted to throw my Nook against the wall. The craziest stuck with me. So I had to read more Gillian Flynn! The library had a huge hold list for Dark Places, but after waiting my turn, I finally got the book! The audiobook was 13 hours, 46 minutes long and read by multiple people.
The movie, based on the book, is coming out in fall 2014. 

  • This story was so crazy intriguing from the poem at the beginning of the book. We start with hearing the story through Libby’s POV and then transition to other key characters in the book, bouncing back and forth between past and present.
  • We were given a first-hand view of what life would be like for someone who goes through such a horrible tragedy. It was so hard to listen to how Libby thought of herself, how she acts and feels, how she lives. Even though she choose to act bad sometimes, it was heartbreaking to hear her story.
  • The side characters in the Kill Group are so crazy that you have to love them. They are weird, passionate and overzealous!
  • I just felt for Ben. So many feels for Ben. He had the wrong friends, was in the wrong places at the wrong times and it seriously lead to his demise. The story continues to build and all the evidence lines up and you can’t help but just feel so bad for Ben, deep in your gut.
  • The mystery continues until the last few pages and I could not stop listening. I needed more and more and more. I finished this whole book in 2 days because I could not get enough of it.
  • I only rated it a four, and I can’t really give you a gripe per say. I guess there was just something that made me love this book, but not so much that it would be a book I would want to reread and talk to everyone I know about it.
**This book is definitely PG-13 with language and sexual content.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5886881-dark-places?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

8 comments

  1. Wow, sounds like an unusual and interesting book. I've never read Gone Girl-maybe I'll start there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds absolutely crazy, and do I dare say, my type of book? I haven't read Gone Girl yet (but I refused to while it was everywhere, in case it kind of influence me, you know?) but still really want to read it. I love mystery thrillers, and you don't really get many in the YA genre, so the most I have read have been Adult. Need to add this one to the TBR! :) Glad you enjoyed it!

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this to read, but I was uncertain if it would be for me! I'm still not sure, but your review makes me think that at least it won't bore me! :) Because it's so unusual I feel like I should pick it up soon though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of this, sounds very different. Yeah I can see why there is a lot of feels for Ben <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow it sounds intense. It's so interesting when we have strong feelings about a book like that. I didn't know it but knwing we would have a movie is really intriguing. Now I'm curious to see how it will be. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read this :D I loved Gone Girl x

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just bought this for my Kindle the other day! i was OBSESSED with reading Gone Girl and read it in like, 2 days..and that's a huge book! I've also read her novel Sharp Objects which was also a crazy, heart-pounding read with a twist that really threw me. I'm super excited to get to this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've still yet to read one of her books. Maybe because Gone Girl didn't totally interest me. But Dark Places sounds like something I should pick up.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.